Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to H1 Converstion/travel question

Hi,

I am currently on H4 visa(Expiring in Jan 2015) in US and planning to apply for H1 visa this year. Since I may be traveling to India in the month of April/May, I wanted to know -

1) Is it safe to travel after applying H1? And,
    2) Can I enter US if petition is picked up?

I haven't gotten any consistent reads on any forums. Some say it is safe and that I can apply COS after I come back to US. While others say I have to get visa stamped by leaving the country to work here.

Anyone been on this boat before? Appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sujata Vijay View Post
    Hi,

I am currently on H4 visa(Expiring in Jan 2015) in US and planning to apply for H1 visa this year. Since I may be traveling to India in the month of April/May, I wanted to know -

1) Is it safe to travel after applying H1? And,
    2) Can I enter US if petition is picked up?

I haven't gotten any consistent reads on any forums. Some say it is safe and that I can apply COS after I come back to US. While others say I have to get visa stamped by leaving the country to work here.

Anyone been on this boat before? Appreciate any info.

Thanks!
    Petition, Status, Visa, I-94 are different things.

Change of Status is considered abandoned if one travels while it is pending. So even if petition gets approved the COS is denied.
    1. Please explain "safe".
    2. Yes on H4 visa.

Though you can apply COS after coming back but then it involves an extra step of legal cost, time and anxiety and converting from Consular to COS depends upon USCIS. So if your travel is absolutely necessary then go ahead otherwise better to avoid travel.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X