X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second H1B stamping with DUI

Hello,

Looking for some help here.

I got arrested for a DUI back in Aug 2009 in California, and then plead guilty in court in Jan 2010. Completed all the requirements to close the case (fine, classes, etc.) with the court.

I went to India in Jan 2012 for visa stamping in New Delhi, I was sent for the medical evaluation which took almost 4 weeks. But I got my passport with the stamp. All good.

I'm going to India next month in May and will be going for stamping again in New Delhi since it has expired.

Would I have to go through the medical exam/panel physician again? That takes a long time. Can someone please provide some insight?

Also, can I just opt for the Dropbox option since I'm eligible so I don't have to go through the interview? Or it would be better to go through the inteview instead since they may just call me for an interview because of the DUI?

Need to decide on the interview. Looking for some help.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by desi555 View Post
    Hello,

I got arrested for a DUI back in Aug 2009 in California, and then plead guilty in court in Jan 2010. Completed all the requirements to close the case (fine, classes, etc.) with the court.

I went to India in Jan 2012 for visa stamping in New Delhi, I was sent for the medical evaluation which took almost 4 weeks. But I got my passport with the stamp. All good.

I'm going to India next month in May and will be going for stamping again in New Delhi since it has expired.

Would I have to go through the medical exam/panel physician again? That takes a long time. Can someone please provide some insight?

Also, can I just opt for the Dropbox option since I'm eligible so I don't have to go through the interview? Or it would be better to go through the inteview instead since they may just call me for an interview because of the DUI?

Thanks in advance.
    Any comments on this please? Thanks.

Comment

Any comments on this please? Thanks.

Hi, i am in your similar situation. did you go through the interview? if yes, did VO ask for another medical test? can you please explain? Thanks in advance.

Comment

@desi555: Second Stamping with DWAI

@desi555. Hope everything worked out well for you during your travels to India earlier this year. I'm in the same situation - was arrested for DUI in 2012, completed all requirements, travelled the same year to Delhi, underwent a physicians panel, re-applied and was granted H-1B. I'm traveling again this Feb and need to get my H-1B stamped. I was hoping to go through the Waiver Program (IWP)/Dropbox as I'm eligible also. I would appreciate it if you could share your experience.

Did you opt for the Waiver and submit your docuemnts through dropbox? OR you scheduled an interview at the US consulate?
        Did you have to undergo the physician's panel again?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comment

2nd stamping after DUI

got my 1st and only DUI in Dec 2010.

Did my H1 stamping after that at chennai on Jan 2013 . Went thought the phyisical evaluation and got H1 approved in 3 weeks.

Now i am planning to go to India April 2015 . by that time Visa gets expired and i need another stamping .

i am eligible to drop of the documents.

no sure whether i will be asked for the the physical evaluation again . Is it better to go for the direct interview.

If any of you have gone though the same situation, please reply.

Comment

Whats the outcome Guys Please post

Originally posted by iwantgreencar View Post
            got my 1st and only DUI in Dec 2010.

Did my H1 stamping after that at chennai on Jan 2013 . Went thought the phyisical evaluation and got H1 approved in 3 weeks.

Now i am planning to go to India April 2015 . by that time Visa gets expired and i need another stamping .

i am eligible to drop of the documents.

no sure whether i will be asked for the the physical evaluation again . Is it better to go for the direct interview.

If any of you have gone though the same situation, please reply.
            Guys -
            Did any one have luck with stamping with a DUI the second time using Dropbox ?
            Please let me know. If not did they send you again for a doctors evaluation ?

Thanks,

Comment

A single DUI does not render an alien inadmissible to the United States under INA212.

Chill, guys.

Comment

please comment on your experience on 2nd visa stamping exp with single DUI

@desi555
                @ iwantgreencar

you guys should have gone thru the process. please help us understand the process. This will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Any Luck?

Originally posted by jj99 View Post
                  Hi, i am in your similar situation. did you go through the interview? if yes, did VO ask for another medical test? can you please explain? Thanks in advance.

Can one of you please tell me how your stamping went for the 2nd time? Did they as for a medical examination again? I am applying for a B1 Visa and I was asked to get a medical examination done. I was told that the report is valid for 1 year from the date of the examination. Would I have to get another report if I plan to travel 2 years down the lane, again?

Comment

Originally posted by vik1989 View Post
                    Can one of you please tell me how your stamping went for the 2nd time? Did they as for a medical examination again? I am applying for a B1 Visa and I was asked to get a medical examination done. I was told that the report is valid for 1 year from the date of the examination. Would I have to get another report if I plan to travel 2 years down the lane, again?
                    How did it go for you? Did you have to do medical again?

Comment

Sucess story

I believe in karma and the need to contribute to society in experiences you have been through.

The experience of a DUI is probably the scariest one in the life of a non immigrant. One mistake and a life time of pain.

I am writing this post to make a few of you feel a little better after you hear my experience. I also believe this is doing some good service in return of the stupid DUI mistake I did. Trust me I regret it even after 6 years. It haunts me every time I step out of this country and have to get back in which I do a lot due to work and pleasure. 20 + entries into the US in 6 years post DUI and a secondary inspection every single time. Not fun but its cleared every time.

So here's my timeline.

Before I start I request people who ask questions to also post the results after the stamping or any delays.

Got arrested for DUI in 2011 50 meters before my apartment as I had a stupid flat tire. The cop came to help me and instead smelled alcohol and arrested me. The horror story starts after that. I left india 1 week after incident and had filled the form and marked No to arrest question as it was submitted before the incident.

Stamping 1 Sept 2011 - Employer A Officer was surprised why I marked No then he realized I submitted the application before the DUI. Sent me for Panel in Mumbai to Lilavati Hospital - Asked to submit passport in 5 working days after the medical, got visa stamped. No report is ever handed to you. Your proof is the receipt and the 221 G letter. The 221 G letter clearly states which hospital to visit and mentioned to submit passport to a VFS office 5 working days after the incident. I did the same and got the visa.

Stamping 2 June 2014 - Employer B New employer hence interview in Mumbai, I had marked the question as Yes and wrote the explanation, also wrote about the medical panel I did last time. Officer asked about DUI I reminded him I already did the Panel. He went behind and told me to do the medical again I asked why he said first was not done properly. This time it was done at Rele Clinic and it was actually much intense than the Lilavati one and also included going to a Physo and they took 12 photos from me. I think the the consulate changed the hospital and hence made people do medical again. I am guessing this. Same procedure as 1 though. 5 days after the stamping I submitted the passport and got the visa stamped.

Stamping 3 Oct 2015- Employer B Same Employer - Dropbox eligible - Marked question as Yes - Wrote medical done in the text box which shows up - No issues - Stamp received in 4 days I guess.

Stamping 4 Date TBD- Employer C Pending now. Will be dropping off the passport soon and this time its same Dropbox but change in Employer. I will post results when I get. fingers crossed and wish me luck.

As mentioned I entered and exited the us 20 times after this and have been taken for Sec Inspection. Some airports its really quick some it took from 30 mins to 2 hours to get a clearance. No questions asked. They simply check if we are hardened criminals I guess.

I have a dropbox submission soon and if you ask me if I am nervous then hell yes. I am absolutely nervous the thought of H1b stamping gives me sleepless nights and makes me think why the hell did I commit the stupid mistake 6 years ago. But I am hopeful this time as I have had a successful drop box before this and two normal interviews too. Been in the US for 12 years now so hopefully they will consider all that and make it easier.

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, ITS NOT WORTH IT. PARK YOUR CAR AND TAKE A UBER. NO MATTER HOW CONFIDENT YOU ARE.

Good luck. I will update you all as and when I do the stamping in the coming months.

Comment

How did it go?

Originally posted by Stanpwithgrace View Post
                        I believe in karma and the need to contribute to society in experiences you have been through.

The experience of a DUI is probably the scariest one in the life of a non immigrant. One mistake and a life time of pain.

I am writing this post to make a few of you feel a little better after you hear my experience. I also believe this is doing some good service in return of the stupid DUI mistake I did. Trust me I regret it even after 6 years. It haunts me every time I step out of this country and have to get back in which I do a lot due to work and pleasure. 20 + entries into the US in 6 years post DUI and a secondary inspection every single time. Not fun but its cleared every time.

So here's my timeline.

Before I start I request people who ask questions to also post the results after the stamping or any delays.

Got arrested for DUI in 2011 50 meters before my apartment as I had a stupid flat tire. The cop came to help me and instead smelled alcohol and arrested me. The horror story starts after that. I left india 1 week after incident and had filled the form and marked No to arrest question as it was submitted before the incident.

Stamping 1 Sept 2011 - Employer A Officer was surprised why I marked No then he realized I submitted the application before the DUI. Sent me for Panel in Mumbai to Lilavati Hospital - Asked to submit passport in 5 working days after the medical, got visa stamped. No report is ever handed to you. Your proof is the receipt and the 221 G letter. The 221 G letter clearly states which hospital to visit and mentioned to submit passport to a VFS office 5 working days after the incident. I did the same and got the visa.

Stamping 2 June 2014 - Employer B New employer hence interview in Mumbai, I had marked the question as Yes and wrote the explanation, also wrote about the medical panel I did last time. Officer asked about DUI I reminded him I already did the Panel. He went behind and told me to do the medical again I asked why he said first was not done properly. This time it was done at Rele Clinic and it was actually much intense than the Lilavati one and also included going to a Physo and they took 12 photos from me. I think the the consulate changed the hospital and hence made people do medical again. I am guessing this. Same procedure as 1 though. 5 days after the stamping I submitted the passport and got the visa stamped.

Stamping 3 Oct 2015- Employer B Same Employer - Dropbox eligible - Marked question as Yes - Wrote medical done in the text box which shows up - No issues - Stamp received in 4 days I guess.

Stamping 4 Date TBD- Employer C Pending now. Will be dropping off the passport soon and this time its same Dropbox but change in Employer. I will post results when I get. fingers crossed and wish me luck.

As mentioned I entered and exited the us 20 times after this and have been taken for Sec Inspection. Some airports its really quick some it took from 30 mins to 2 hours to get a clearance. No questions asked. They simply check if we are hardened criminals I guess.

I have a dropbox submission soon and if you ask me if I am nervous then hell yes. I am absolutely nervous the thought of H1b stamping gives me sleepless nights and makes me think why the hell did I commit the stupid mistake 6 years ago. But I am hopeful this time as I have had a successful drop box before this and two normal interviews too. Been in the US for 12 years now so hopefully they will consider all that and make it easier.

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, ITS NOT WORTH IT. PARK YOUR CAR AND TAKE A UBER. NO MATTER HOW CONFIDENT YOU ARE.

Good luck. I will update you all as and when I do the stamping in the coming months.
                        How did it go with your drop box?

This is my second stamping.I had to go through the medical exam and wait 4 weeks back in March 2016.
                        Now I am trying to get extension of H1b with same employer, was eligible for dropbox, clicked yes and explained the situation and that I did medical last time, dropped off my passport on Nov 1, I haven't heard back from the consulate, passport status is still with embassy.
                        Both times with Chennai consulate.
                        Last edited by dine01; 11-11-2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dine01 View Post
                          How did it go with your drop box?

This is my second stamping.I had to go through the medical exam and wait 4 weeks back in March 2016.
                          Now I am trying to get extension of H1b with same employer, was eligible for dropbox, clicked yes and explained the situation and that I did medical last time, dropped off my passport on Nov 1, I haven't heard back from the consulate, passport status is still with embassy.
                          Both times with Chennai consulate.
                          Please do keep me posted.
                          I am going next week. Good Luck. Very nervous. I am doing dropbox but change of employer.

Comment

How long after medical did it take for visa issued

Originally posted by Stanpwithgrace View Post

So here's my timeline.

Do you mind telling how long after your medical evaluation did your visa get issued? I am in similar boat, went for visa stamp 4 yrs 7 months after the incident - on day of interview, officer gave me 221g asking me to submit court document. I did that same day and got email after 7 days to pick up passport. this time i had another 221g asking me to take medical exams. I did that 2 days later and submitted the sealed envelope in a week. Now it has been 3 weeks and my case is still under admin processing and no update to the status date. I am a direct employee on H1b for a well known fortune 200 company so i don't think my paperwork has issues. So i was just curious how long did it take you on both occasions to get visa after medical report was submitted? Any information will help.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
                              Hi,

when you say "medical evaluation which almost took 4 weeks" - did medical took 4 weeks or getting visa stamped after it took 4 weeks? I am in similar boat and i submitted my medical & passport to VAC 3 weeks back. Still case is in admin processing status. Any idea how long does it take after submitting medical report & passport to get the VISA stamped? please, any information will be helpful.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X