Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B visa reentry

Hi.

A little background about me: I have a Phd from the university of michigan in bioinformatics (It qualifies for STEM) and lived in the US for 7 years (5 years on F1 (2006-2011) and 2 years on H1 (2011-2013)).

I currently have a H1B visa valid till Dec 31 2014. However I quit my job Jul 2013 and went back to my home country due to personal reasons. Now I want to go back to the US to work again. But i am not sure if I have to use my old petition (is it still valid) or have to apply for a new petition. Also if i have to attend interviews in person, what would be the best way to go about? Do i have apply for a B2? If yes, do i mention about the interviews to the consular officer or just say i am visiting my sister (who lives there). And if i do get an offer, what would be the best way to go about for a H1.

Any help regarding this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Arun

Hello, Arun83.

I am not much aware of STEM. But, as regards H1B, what i understand is one can revive the H1B (where H1B stay not fully utilized) for upto 6 years from the time H1B status was last held by the petitioner, which in your case was held till 2013. So, you are, from what i understand, eligible for reviving your H1B any time till 2019.

As regards interviews, i do not feel that letting the Visa Officer know about attending interviews, as the reason for applying for B2 visa, is the best way to go about it. I am quite certain they will not look at it nicely. I would say i would like to go to US for holiday - to travel. Mentioning about visiting a relative is a good way (that's what i had said at the time of my B2). You have a good case already, as you had an H1B and F1 and you returned to India. You could have stayed illegally, if you wanted to. But, if you say you plan to attend job interviews, i am not sure how it will be viewed by the Visa Officer. I was asked this question when i applied for B2 (i had an old H1B), 'Would you look for jobs when in USA?' To which i replied in the negative.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Originally posted by arun83 View Post
    Hi.

A little background about me: I have a Phd from the university of michigan in bioinformatics (It qualifies for STEM) and lived in the US for 7 years (5 years on F1 (2006-2011) and 2 years on H1 (2011-2013)).

I currently have a H1B visa valid till Dec 31 2014. However I quit my job Jul 2013 and went back to my home country due to personal reasons. Now I want to go back to the US to work again. But i am not sure if I have to use my old petition (is it still valid) or have to apply for a new petition. Also if i have to attend interviews in person, what would be the best way to go about? Do i have apply for a B2? If yes, do i mention about the interviews to the consular officer or just say i am visiting my sister (who lives there). And if i do get an offer, what would be the best way to go about for a H1.

Any help regarding this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Arun
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X