Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start? Help please :)

Hi,

I'm a British HR professional with over 3 years experience in the profession. I have an MSc in Human Resource Management and am an Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). I would like to live and work in the USA for at least 12 months so was hoping to hear from others how they got employment and a visa over there? I've read into visas and it looks expensive for potential US employers, not sure how willing they'd be or how easy it would be to secure a role from the UK. Just looking for some tips on where to even start please? Any pointers would be much much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steph

Hello, Steph.

I am not aware if the rules differ for British nationals - you might have to engage an attorney to help you with that.

As regards work visas - they are certain professions which qualify for extending work sponsorship to foreign nationals. Skills which require advanced studies like Software Engineering, Financial Risk Analyst etc. normally qualify for work visas. There is a category called L1 where an existing employee of an American firm on foreign soil is internally transferred to work location in USA.

I have not come across Human Resource professionals getting work visas extended to them (H1, L1). But, the rules might differ for UK, so it might help if you could check with an attorney.

Best way to explore USA (or any other country) and understand life there would be to study there. You would not only add local qualification to yourself but also get an opportunity to understand the country and maybe develop a network of people who could help. It might be expensive, but you could try some short term course (which also are steep). Through education, you might land an opportunity to work.

I am not sure how much this helped.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Originally posted by steph1087 View Post
    Hi,

I'm a British HR professional with over 3 years experience in the profession. I have an MSc in Human Resource Management and am an Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). I would like to live and work in the USA for at least 12 months so was hoping to hear from others how they got employment and a visa over there? I've read into visas and it looks expensive for potential US employers, not sure how willing they'd be or how easy it would be to secure a role from the UK. Just looking for some tips on where to even start please? Any pointers would be much much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steph
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X