Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B transfer after layoff

Hi All,

I am sharing my experience of being on H1b and then getting laid off (due to company shutdown) recently. Please note that this is my personal experience and not legal advice.

My Backgroud: I have done my MS in computer science from a university in the US. I have been on H1B for the last 9 years and have been working as a software engg. I have done a couple of H1B transfers before when changing employers in the past. I joined employer XYZ in November 2010 (on H1B). They started my green card application and was able to get through PERM and I-140 in April 2012.

On April 18, 2014 it was announced that the company is shutting down that day (it's was startup and hence no warning of any sort). On April 19 onwards I was unemployed and out of status (according to H1b rules). There are a couple of things I did immediately:

1. spoke with a immigration lawyer

2. started job search

I started my job search the very next day was able to get an offer from company ABC that I liked by May 14, 2014 (within 24 days). My new employer ABC started H1b application on May 24 (after collecting relevant docs) and was able to file H1B with USCIS on June 5. The lawyers filed it as exempt of quota (similar to transfer) but with consular processing. That means to be back in status I had to go out of the country to get new I94 and be back in-status before I could join. In addition, since my previous H1b visa stamp had expired on Nov 2013, I had to make a visa interview appointment to get valid visa stamp (since I was going to be out of country).

The new H1B was approval on June 16 and I got the original I-797B (without I-94 and with counselor processing) on June 20. I flew to India (my home country) on June 24. I made the the visa interview appointment on June 26. The biometrics appointment was a day before.

The interview on June 26 lasted for 2-3 minutes. Questions asked:

1. What do you do for company ABC? I work as a software engineer in their ---- devision and these are my responsibilities.......

2. Is this project internal to ABC? Yes it is completely internal. There is no external entity involved. (I think he wanted to find out if this was a anyway a consulting gig. My employer in the H1b paperwork filing explicitly mentioned that “it is not a consulting or staffing firm”. Looks like the us consulate are being vigilant about that sort of thing.)

3. Can you give more details about the project? I mentioned some more details about the position and responsibilities. (I think he wanted to see if I am truly familiar with the company and the project. Tip: before the interview, read the job description and responsibilities mentioned in H1b paperwork carefully since your answers should be consistent with what’s on the paperwork.)

It was approved and my passport was ready for pick up with in 2 business days at the OFC.

——————

A few H1B transfer related things I learned from this experience (some which you may already know but worth repeating):

1. You are in status as long as you have a job (that is payroll is being run for you by your current employer). The last day of your paycheck is the last day of your employment. Also that paycheck has to be a “regular salary” and not severance related. To be considered in status (on H1B), your new employer should have filed for H1B petition with USCIS (ideally before your last day or at the very least within say 1-2 weeks). USICS verifies that you are in-status by looking at your previous paycheck and will need paycheck at most 2 weeks old. If that gap in paycheck is more than that, then it’s hard to prove that you are in status at the time of filing of the new petition.

2. After I was laid off I considered 2 options. a: To find new employer ASAP (would take at least 5-6 weeks to get an offer and apply for H1b transfer) OR b: Switch to a consulting firm and get a project with them (some consulting firms can do that in 1-2 weeks). I was advised to stick with the first option and look for a job that I want instead of trying something last minute with a consulting firm since that may create more issues.

3. Once I accepted the offer, the lawyers from company ABC started the H1B transfer and they requested consular processing since by the time of application the gap in paycheck was 7 weeks (7 weeks out of status). Each law firm has its own way of handling certain cases and that’s the way this firm handles it. I consulted with another immigration lawyer who suggested that even though you are out of status for 7 weeks, the lawyers can request USCIS to issue I-94 with I-797 approval (since the layoffs happened and there was no notice etc). It is entirely up to USCIS to issue I-94 or not. If I-94 is issued, you become in status again and there is no need to travel out of the country to get back in-status. BUT each law firm has its own process and the law firm handing my H1B transfer chose counselor processing.

4. Once you loose your job/get laid off/company shutdown, you are out of status and are expected to leave the US. If you continue to stay and be out of status for 6 months or more then you are not eligible to apply for h1b petition and you have broken the law for sure. Anything below 6 months is up to the USCIS’s discretion to approve your petition or not. The goal should be of course to minimize the length of this period to avoid any complications.

H1B transfer after layoff

Hi,

Thanks for posting on this topic it is of great help.... I am in the same boat as you were. I was laid off from my previous company, after several weeks of job hunt I was able to find a job, they applied for my H1, got approved but USCIS did not approve my I-94 as there was a gap. So I had to immediately terminate my job took the next flight to India & will be interviewing with Mumbai consulate on 18th July 2014. Although I have doubt is Mumbai consulate aware that I was laid off. I ask this because in case if they ask me why did you change your job should I mention that I was laid off ?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagar Joshi View Post
      Hi,

Thanks for posting on this topic it is of great help.... I am in the same boat as you were. I was laid off from my previous company, after several weeks of job hunt I was able to find a job, they applied for my H1, got approved but USCIS did not approve my I-94 as there was a gap. So I had to immediately terminate my job took the next flight to India & will be interviewing with Mumbai consulate on 18th July 2014. Although I have doubt is Mumbai consulate aware that I was laid off. I ask this because in case if they ask me why did you change your job should I mention that I was laid off ?

I would talk to the immigration attorney handling your case and discuss these questions prior to the interview to get the best advice.
      Here are my 2 cents based on my own experience and this is not a legal opinion or advice: I had similar concerns about the interview and this is the advice I got: "Answer questions that are asked. Do not volunteer any information that is not asked. And if you are asked about the gap then be truthful. Do not make something up or try to hide something when asked." Also, it is possible that the question about the gap may not come up. And if it comes up then answer truthfully. The situation of getting laid off and getting out of status is not that uncommon. And you are following the procedure to get back in status. So it should be ok. Good luck.

Comment

H1B transfer to company C based on H1B receipt from company B after lay off from A

Originally posted by cvt20 View Post
        I would talk to the immigration attorney handling your case and discuss these questions prior to the interview to get the best advice.
        Here are my 2 cents based on my own experience and this is not a legal opinion or advice: I had similar concerns about the interview and this is the advice I got: "Answer questions that are asked. Do not volunteer any information that is not asked. And if you are asked about the gap then be truthful. Do not make something up or try to hide something when asked." Also, it is possible that the question about the gap may not come up. And if it comes up then answer truthfully. The situation of getting laid off and getting out of status is not that uncommon. And you are following the procedure to get back in status. So it should be ok. Good luck.

Hi,

I have been laid off from company A on Oct 14th 2015. I have approved I140 from company A. Didn't apply for EAD or Green Card yet.

Before being laid off I was able to apply company B (consultant) in July 2015 and filed under normal processing. I only have receipt number and it's not approved yet (no RFE etc). I have not started working for company B yet as I was hoping to transfer to company C directly.
        Am I out of status ? as I'm not working for employer B (while I wait for H1B approval) but already laid off by employer A.

I got an offer from Company C and they want to transfer my H1B. Can I transfer my H1B based on employer A's H1B & pay stubs and only receipt number from employee B ?
        Or consular processing is the only option ?

Will consular processing impact my existing I140 approval or priority date in any way. Employer C is willing to file for Green Card and help port the priority date.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Thanks,
        SR

Comment

h1b transfer after layoff

hi Sagar.
          Since your h1b was approved and only i94 was not approved, why was there a need to go for interview ? if you had valid visa. Just going to india and coming back would have solved issue right??

Originally posted by Sagar Joshi View Post
          Hi,

Comment

Help Regarding Scheduling Visa Interview for Consular Processing

Hi

I am also in the same sitation. I got laid off on May 3rd and I got a new job and the attorneys filed my petition with Consular processing on Jun6th.

How did you get the Visa Appointment within a day after you reached india ?

I see the first available H1 date as September 1 2016 as of today.

Is there any exception in scheduling the visa intwrview for Consular Processing?

Thanks
            JK
            Originally posted by cvt20 View Post
            Hi All,

I am sharing my experience of being on H1b and then getting laid off (due to company shutdown) recently. Please note that this is my personal experience and not legal advice.

My Backgroud: I have done my MS in computer science from a university in the US. I have been on H1B for the last 9 years and have been working as a software engg. I have done a couple of H1B transfers before when changing employers in the past. I joined employer XYZ in November 2010 (on H1B). They started my green card application and was able to get through PERM and I-140 in April 2012.

On April 18, 2014 it was announced that the company is shutting down that day (it's was startup and hence no warning of any sort). On April 19 onwards I was unemployed and out of status (according to H1b rules). There are a couple of things I did immediately:

1. spoke with a immigration lawyer

2. started job search

I started my job search the very next day was able to get an offer from company ABC that I liked by May 14, 2014 (within 24 days). My new employer ABC started H1b application on May 24 (after collecting relevant docs) and was able to file H1B with USCIS on June 5. The lawyers filed it as exempt of quota (similar to transfer) but with consular processing. That means to be back in status I had to go out of the country to get new I94 and be back in-status before I could join. In addition, since my previous H1b visa stamp had expired on Nov 2013, I had to make a visa interview appointment to get valid visa stamp (since I was going to be out of country).

The new H1B was approval on June 16 and I got the original I-797B (without I-94 and with counselor processing) on June 20. I flew to India (my home country) on June 24. I made the the visa interview appointment on June 26. The biometrics appointment was a day before.

The interview on June 26 lasted for 2-3 minutes. Questions asked:

1. What do you do for company ABC? I work as a software engineer in their ---- devision and these are my responsibilities.......

2. Is this project internal to ABC? Yes it is completely internal. There is no external entity involved. (I think he wanted to find out if this was a anyway a consulting gig. My employer in the H1b paperwork filing explicitly mentioned that “it is not a consulting or staffing firm”. Looks like the us consulate are being vigilant about that sort of thing.)

3. Can you give more details about the project? I mentioned some more details about the position and responsibilities. (I think he wanted to see if I am truly familiar with the company and the project. Tip: before the interview, read the job description and responsibilities mentioned in H1b paperwork carefully since your answers should be consistent with what’s on the paperwork.)

It was approved and my passport was ready for pick up with in 2 business days at the OFC.

——————

A few H1B transfer related things I learned from this experience (some which you may already know but worth repeating):

1. You are in status as long as you have a job (that is payroll is being run for you by your current employer). The last day of your paycheck is the last day of your employment. Also that paycheck has to be a “regular salary” and not severance related. To be considered in status (on H1B), your new employer should have filed for H1B petition with USCIS (ideally before your last day or at the very least within say 1-2 weeks). USICS verifies that you are in-status by looking at your previous paycheck and will need paycheck at most 2 weeks old. If that gap in paycheck is more than that, then it’s hard to prove that you are in status at the time of filing of the new petition.

2. After I was laid off I considered 2 options. a: To find new employer ASAP (would take at least 5-6 weeks to get an offer and apply for H1b transfer) OR b: Switch to a consulting firm and get a project with them (some consulting firms can do that in 1-2 weeks). I was advised to stick with the first option and look for a job that I want instead of trying something last minute with a consulting firm since that may create more issues.

3. Once I accepted the offer, the lawyers from company ABC started the H1B transfer and they requested consular processing since by the time of application the gap in paycheck was 7 weeks (7 weeks out of status). Each law firm has its own way of handling certain cases and that’s the way this firm handles it. I consulted with another immigration lawyer who suggested that even though you are out of status for 7 weeks, the lawyers can request USCIS to issue I-94 with I-797 approval (since the layoffs happened and there was no notice etc). It is entirely up to USCIS to issue I-94 or not. If I-94 is issued, you become in status again and there is no need to travel out of the country to get back in-status. BUT each law firm has its own process and the law firm handing my H1B transfer chose counselor processing.

4. Once you loose your job/get laid off/company shutdown, you are out of status and are expected to leave the US. If you continue to stay and be out of status for 6 months or more then you are not eligible to apply for h1b petition and you have broken the law for sure. Anything below 6 months is up to the USCIS’s discretion to approve your petition or not. The goal should be of course to minimize the length of this period to avoid any complications.

Comment

Sorry its not an answer to your question but I am in a similar situation and have following more questions -

Can't you travel on old VISA stamping if its still valid?

I got laid off on May 02. New employer filled H1b Transfer in premium processing (BUT not with Consular processing) on Jun 06. I have a VISA stamped on my passport and it is valid upto Oct 2017.

So if I get i797B (i.e. i797 without i94) then can't I just travel back to Indiaand come back to USA on next day to get new i94? Can I use VISA stamping of my previous employer and i797 of new employer?

Originally posted by Kavinya Jeevaratinam View Post
              Hi

I am also in the same sitation. I got laid off on May 3rd and I got a new job and the attorneys filed my petition with Consular processing on Jun6th.

How did you get the Visa Appointment within a day after you reached india ?

I see the first available H1 date as September 1 2016 as of today.

Is there any exception in scheduling the visa intwrview for Consular Processing?

Thanks
              JK

Comment

Can anyone please respond?

Also, if new VISA stamping is must (due to consular processing) then would I be eligible for "Drop Box" considering I am meeting all other drop box criteria.

Appreciate you response.
                Thank you

Comment

Hi

The below is Not a legal advise.Always check with an attorney.

1)If you have a valid stamped visa from a previous employer, then you can move out of the country and travel back to USA with your new approved petition to get the i-94 and it does not need a Visa stamping.The same was told to my friend who was in your situation(Got laid-off but had a valid stamped visa valid till 2017).But he is yet to go out of the country since his petition is not yet approved.

2)My previous visa got expired in Nov 2015.I too tried to look for appointment dates but it is allowing me for Drop Box option.I am trying to check with my attorney's team to confirm the same.

Thanks
                  JK

Originally posted by jiyajain View Post
                  Can anyone please respond?

Also, if new VISA stamping is must (due to consular processing) then would I be eligible for "Drop Box" considering I am meeting all other drop box criteria.

Appreciate you response.
                  Thank you

Comment

Thanks Kavinya.

My H1B is not approved yet. So I am in a same situation as your friend.

Please let me know his experience at POE when he used the VISA from previous employer while coming back.
                    Thanks again!!

Comment

I'm in the same boat!

jiyajain,

Did you got your approval? (Is it with I94 or without!)

Will be waiting for your kind reply.

Thanks

Comment

Hi all,

I am in a similar boat, except that it's been close to two months, and I have not been able to find a job yet. I lost my job on 30th May (last paycheck date), and it's close to 30th July now. I spoke to a lawyer, and he highlighted that I am certainly out of status since May 30th, but at times USCIS has a gray area it considers, could be 30, 60, 90 days. And as you guys have discussed, it is highly likely that if I do find something soon, I would not get an I-94, and would have to go back for a revisit, or a re-stamping. The lawyer I spoke to also suggested that if things are not working out, and if I do not see an employer filing H1B transfer (after LCA) by August 30th (90 days), then I should leave accordingly to avoid more risk.

I have an H1B stamped on my passport, valid till May 2018.

My questions:

1. Does anybody have an idea, after speaking to respective attorneys, on what the veracity of the 30-90 days is?
                        2. What is generally a good time time to leave the country if things are not working out?
                        3. I've heard people can interview while in India too, and once they find an employer, they would file a transfer and wait till approval, and get a stamp and come back. Generally speaking, is that feasible?
                        4. I am now trying consulting options (started late). I fear this can work out, because these people are just hungry to get someone on a new project and are refusing to help out because any delay in I94 wouldn't be good business for them. Would someone be able to suggest options?

Thank you for hearing me out!

-Harsh

Comment

Hello Harsh,

Not sure what your status is currently but i will reply to best of my knowledge because I was in a very similar situation last year. This website was of immense help at that time and i would like to add my experience as well.

Firstly, the original post in this thread is very accurate and very good. I based my entire strategy as per that post so kudos to cvt20 for sharing his experience.

1. The consulted the best immigration lawyer in the city and what I can tell is that 30-90 days is a guideline. It is solely on the discretion of USCIS as to how they will process your case. It is a grey area and it can go either way. Having said that it took me around 50 days to get a new job and file a visa. I didnt get a new I-94 request. I got a RFE which was a extremely standard boiler plate questions. Meaning USCIS kinda didn't read much into my application at all. These days USCIS is slammed and if you can manage to file a visa in 30-60 days you are most likely to get one without new I-94.
                          Another point in this regard is that you can always talk to the lawyers of your previous company and ask them not to withdraw your application for atleast 30 days. Try to negotiate more days. I did that but only got 30 days. After that the immigration lawyer of my previous company advised me to file for a different visa.

2. I think after 90 days you want to start looking at different visas to wrap up your stuff here. But of course once you let go of H1B you have to go through the lottery system again.

Dont have many inputs about point 3 and 4.

To add some other general points
                          1. ALWAYS talk to a lawyer. Try the best lawyer around. 30 mins of talking to them can give you immense clarity. It will be expensive but it is required.
                          2. this seems obvious but keep your cool. Focus on getting the new job ASAP. Try all your options. Dont be picky at this point. Get something, get a visa request in and then switch if you have to. I believe you can have multiple visa transfer applications at a time
                          3. Depending on where you get the job let them know that they need to apply for your visa asap. I got the job in a month but the company did not apply for my visa for atleast another 20 days. So you want to make sure that doesn't happen.

Good luck to everyone reading this thread.

Originally posted by bhavsarharsh View Post
                          Hi all,

I am in a similar boat, except that it's been close to two months, and I have not been able to find a job yet. I lost my job on 30th May (last paycheck date), and it's close to 30th July now. I spoke to a lawyer, and he highlighted that I am certainly out of status since May 30th, but at times USCIS has a gray area it considers, could be 30, 60, 90 days. And as you guys have discussed, it is highly likely that if I do find something soon, I would not get an I-94, and would have to go back for a revisit, or a re-stamping. The lawyer I spoke to also suggested that if things are not working out, and if I do not see an employer filing H1B transfer (after LCA) by August 30th (90 days), then I should leave accordingly to avoid more risk.

I have an H1B stamped on my passport, valid till May 2018.

My questions:

1. Does anybody have an idea, after speaking to respective attorneys, on what the veracity of the 30-90 days is?
                          2. What is generally a good time time to leave the country if things are not working out?
                          3. I've heard people can interview while in India too, and once they find an employer, they would file a transfer and wait till approval, and get a stamp and come back. Generally speaking, is that feasible?
                          4. I am now trying consulting options (started late). I fear this can work out, because these people are just hungry to get someone on a new project and are refusing to help out because any delay in I94 wouldn't be good business for them. Would someone be able to suggest options?

Thank you for hearing me out!

-Harsh

Comment

Hi,
                            I recently got laid off work (asked to resign). It didn't matter to me at
                            the time because I had admission with a school to start this fall. I
                            contacted the school to proceed with an f1 visa process but I was told to
                            fill a form I -539 but they keep insisting in better off going back to my
                            home country to for the F1 process.
                            I'm confused because I don't want to go
                            back to my country to apply because my chances of getting it is low. I also
                            don't know my chances if I fill the I-539. I also don't know how long I have
                            before I go out of status. What can I do to remain in status Please help.
                            What are my best options. I'm not sure if my h1 has been revoked from my employer and I only got my last pay stub yesterday
                            Please what are my options of remaining in status

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X