Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will have H1-B, husband will have J1, can I help him move to US from Canada early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will have H1-B, husband will have J1, can I help him move to US from Canada early?

I will be starting work on an H1-B on January 1, 2015. There is a 10-day entry rule, so I can only enter the US 10 days before January 1. My husband, however, can enter/move 30 days before his start date of January 1, 2015. We want to drive down with a u-Haul. Can I drive with him on December 1 to help him move? I clearly will not enter on my H1-B at that time, since it would be too early. Rather, I will actually be flying back for Christmas with my family anyway, and would then re-enter the US in the appropriate 10 day window. On December 1, I would simply be entering as a visitor.

However, I am concerned about the rules anyway. Will the border guard think it is weird that I am helping my husband move, but myself am not yet entering the US for good? I do not want to drive to the border in a uHaul with all of our stuff, only to be turned away for some technicality since my H1-B starts really soon after.

Thank you for any help, I have been unable to find any info on this specific case.

Originally posted by Martha Lednicky White View Post
    I will be starting work on an H1-B on January 1, 2015. There is a 10-day entry rule, so I can only enter the US 10 days before January 1. My husband, however, can enter/move 30 days before his start date of January 1, 2015. We want to drive down with a u-Haul. Can I drive with him on December 1 to help him move? I clearly will not enter on my H1-B at that time, since it would be too early. Rather, I will actually be flying back for Christmas with my family anyway, and would then re-enter the US in the appropriate 10 day window. On December 1, I would simply be entering as a visitor.

However, I am concerned about the rules anyway. Will the border guard think it is weird that I am helping my husband move, but myself am not yet entering the US for good? I do not want to drive to the border in a uHaul with all of our stuff, only to be turned away for some technicality since my H1-B starts really soon after.

Thank you for any help, I have been unable to find any info on this specific case.
    I would say avoid, folks having approved H1 petition may be subject to extra scrutiny if entering on any other visa.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X