Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1a + h1

Hi,

I entered US on L1-A through company A in May2010 went back to India in Apr2011 so a stay of 11 months in US, Stayed in India for 6 months till Oct 2011 and then entered again through Company B on H1B in Oct 2011. I got the H1 initially for 3 years , I was expecting that I can apply for an extension again for 3 years? But was told that my stay on L1 would count against my 6 years of H1.

So i guess As I got the H1 in Oct2011, I can stay on H1 till Oct2017 (less 11 months) so it will come to December2016? or would my stay in india for 6 months would also be counted against my H1?I applied for the extension but got an ext only till May2016, so it appears that my 6 months stay in India is also counted towards my h1? please confirm?

Till when am I OK to stay without applying for a GC? I mean my current company is not filing my GC and I would need to change jobs in time to make sure my GC process starts in right time so I dont have to go back?

Any help appreciated..

regards

Originally posted by lovem View Post
    Hi,

I entered US on L1-A through company A in May2010 went back to India in Apr2011 so a stay of 11 months in US, Stayed in India for 6 months till Oct 2011 and then entered again through Company B on H1B in Oct 2011. I got the H1 initially for 3 years , I was expecting that I can apply for an extension again for 3 years? But was told that my stay on L1 would count against my 6 years of H1.

So i guess As I got the H1 in Oct2011, I can stay on H1 till Oct2017 (less 11 months) so it will come to December2016? or would my stay in india for 6 months would also be counted against my H1?I applied for the extension but got an ext only till May2016, so it appears that my 6 months stay in India is also counted towards my h1? please confirm?

Till when am I OK to stay without applying for a GC? I mean my current company is not filing my GC and I would need to change jobs in time to make sure my GC process starts in right time so I dont have to go back?

Any help appreciated..

regards
    L1+H1 can at max be for 6 Years. Only physical stay in US is counted while calculating the 6 Year period. So roughly speaking time spent by you in US is 11 Months (L1A stay) + 3 Years (H1 stay from Oct 2011 till date, assuming you didn't spend any time outside US since Oct 2011). So a total of around 4 Years. This leads to a potential extension of 2 More years till Oct- Nov 2016 provided you can provide evidences of your entry and exit records to reclaim these 2 Odd years.

As for stay beyond Oct-Nov 2016, you need to at least get GC filed before your 5th Year completion, that is, by Oct -Nov 2015 OR get I140 approved by Oct-Nov 2016. Both are technically possible if you start soon enough looking for another employer. Certain employers await for 1 Year before filing for GC so if you plan to join such an employer you have very limited time.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      L1+H1 can at max be for 6 Years. Only physical stay in US is counted while calculating the 6 Year period. So roughly speaking time spent by you in US is 11 Months (L1A stay) + 3 Years (H1 stay from Oct 2011 till date, assuming you didn't spend any time outside US since Oct 2011). So a total of around 4 Years. This leads to a potential extension of 2 More years till Oct- Nov 2016 provided you can provide evidences of your entry and exit records to reclaim these 2 Odd years.

As for stay beyond Oct-Nov 2016, you need to at least get GC filed before your 5th Year completion, that is, by Oct -Nov 2015 OR get I140 approved by Oct-Nov 2016. Both are technically possible if you start soon enough looking for another employer. Certain employers await for 1 Year before filing for GC so if you plan to join such an employer you have very limited time.

Thanks a lot Raghvi, Such a lucid response. I have a question though , you mentioned "provide evidence of your entry and exit records" what does that mean? I guess the stamps on my passport suffice? And do I need to specifically mention or write a separate application while applying for ext? Because we applied this time and got only till May16 while it should have been Oct - Nov 2016?
      Also how long does it roughly take to get I140 approved? By your response I guess it is 12 months?

Comment

They don't give by default. You have to specifically request for recapture and provide entry/exit records as per passport and I-94 copies etc.

I140 approval can take 6-12 Months, if PERM is not audited, if audited longer.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
          They don't give by default. You have to specifically request for recapture and provide entry/exit records as per passport and I-94 copies etc.

I140 approval can take 6-12 Months, if PERM is not audited, if audited longer.

Thanks a lot for the clarifications.

regards

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X