Visa restamping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa restamping question

I did quite a bit of research on this topic over the web and browsed through several forums and I was amply convinced that the visa obtained using the old I797 can be used to reenter the United States.

However, a couple of days ago, I wrote an email to the US Embassy in India and the reply I got from them was that I will be required to get a new visa stamped before returning to the US. They also sent me a link to a web page, which clearly states this. Here is the URL:

Could you please advise what should I do as my tickets are booked and I hardly have any time to setup an appointment at the US Embassy in India?

Please advise.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hello, Ammit.

The link you shared talks of 'expired' visa on the passport. I hope i read it correct.

My understanding is - if the dates on your H1B visa (from Employer A) on the passport are valid and if you have an approved/valid I797 (from Employer B), you could enter USA on Employer A's visa stamp and Employer B's I797. This is my understanding. Personal opinion.

E.g.: Hypothetically, H1B on passport from Employer A with date October 2013 to September 2015, and I797 notice from Employer B with date December 2014 to September 2015. You should be good to travel to USA.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Originally posted by ammit View Post
    I did quite a bit of research on this topic over the web and browsed through several forums and I was amply convinced that the visa obtained using the old I797 can be used to reenter the United States.

However, a couple of days ago, I wrote an email to the US Embassy in India and the reply I got from them was that I will be required to get a new visa stamped before returning to the US. They also sent me a link to a web page, which clearly states this. Here is the URL:

Could you please advise what should I do as my tickets are booked and I hardly have any time to setup an appointment at the US Embassy in India?

Please advise.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Last edited by Nattybone; 11-20-2014, 12:16 AM.
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

The link says 'Valid Visa' meaning not expired.
      I had the similar situation and my employer's immigration team asked me to go for fresh visa stamping.

Did you plan fresh stamping?

Originally posted by Nattybone View Post
      Hello, Ammit.

The link you shared talks of 'expired' visa on the passport. I hope i read it correct.

My understanding is - if the dates on your H1B visa (from Employer A) on the passport are valid and if you have an approved/valid I797 (from Employer B), you could enter USA on Employer A's visa stamp and Employer B's I797. This is my understanding. Personal opinion.

E.g.: Hypothetically, H1B on passport from Employer A with date October 2013 to September 2015, and I797 notice from Employer B with date December 2014 to September 2015. You should be good to travel to USA.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X