Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistake in I-797 form... Need advice

Hi all

My name as per passport is Aayushman Kumar (Given name). I dont have a Surname. In my 797 form, 'Kumar' has been put as my Surname and Aayushman as First (Given name).

Please let me know if that would be an issue for appointment and if so, would i need any more paper from USCIS in this regard?

Veena, Please provide your input.

Regards,

If you do not have a surname on your passport, when your visa is issued, your entire first name will be given in the surname column, and in the first name column, FNU will appear which stands for "first name unknown" If you have sufficient time left for the consular interview, please go to your regional passport office and get the correct name endorsed by the relevant authorities.
    VEENA
    (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)

Comment

Originally posted by veena_swsh
      If you do not have a surname on your passport, when your visa is issued, your entire first name will be given in the surname column, and in the first name column, FNU will appear which stands for "first name unknown" If you have sufficient time left for the consular interview, please go to your regional passport office and get the correct name endorsed by the relevant authorities.

Thanks Veena.

I do have a valid B1 VISA on my passport which reads my name as you mentioned above (Aayushman Kumar as my LastName and FNU as First name).
      In a way, it has been endorsed by the Consulate people themselves. My DS156/157 form has my name written in the same format. So I-797 is the only form where the name discrepancy comes into light.

Seemingly, there is a errata form issued by USCIS/ INS people which takes care of mistakes in original I797 form. (Heard from somebody, dunno exactly how it works). Would you suggest to explore this option or still go to the RPO.

I do have enough time left for my appointment (3 months)
      Regards,

Comment

In my opinion, it is the passport that you have to get corrected. For b1 there is no further problem, but on H1, you need to get driving license, lease an apartment, open bank account, etc, and name plays an importnat role.I think it is essential you have a first name instead of a "FNU".
        VEENA
        (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)

Comment

Originally posted by veena_swsh
          In my opinion, it is the passport that you have to get corrected. For b1 there is no further problem, but on H1, you need to get driving license, lease an apartment, open bank account, etc, and name plays an importnat role.I think it is essential you have a first name instead of a "FNU".

Yes, Makes sense. Thanks Veena.

All,

Would appreciate if somebody could share their consulate interview experiences under the said circumstances.

Regards,

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X