Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS 160 previous employment question

Hi,
    I am trying to fill DS 160 form . I am currently on H1-b and have been with the same employer for past 7 years . I have put all the details of my present employer in the present employer section. Then for the previous employer it asks the information for all the previous employers in the last 5 years. I do have previous employers but they were 7 years back. Hence do I select no for previous employer section since I haven't had any other employer for past 5 years ? If yes then what data should I enter in the Employement date To , since I cannot enter this date as I am still working with the same employer ? I am really confused with this section. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
    Debashish

Originally posted by debashish View Post
    Hi,
    I am trying to fill DS 160 form . I am currently on H1-b and have been with the same employer for past 7 years . I have put all the details of my present employer in the present employer section. Then for the previous employer it asks the information for all the previous employers in the last 5 years. I do have previous employers but they were 7 years back. Hence do I select no for previous employer section since I haven't had any other employer for past 5 years ? If yes then what data should I enter in the Employement date To , since I cannot enter this date as I am still working with the same employer ? I am really confused with this section. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
    Debashish
    Enter current employer details and start date.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

But what should I enter in the End date since the value is mandatory and I also cannot put any future dates ..

Comment

But what should I enter in the End date since the value is mandatory and I also cannot put any future dates ..
        I think you should put the expiration date of the visa that you're on as the "end date" on your DS-160 application (since technically, you're not allowed to work beyond that).

This is my personal advice and not legal advice.

EDIT: I just read your original post again. It asks for previous employers. If you were working with your current employer for > 5 years (which is true), I think you should leave the previous employers section blank.

Last edited by captcha; 01-09-2015, 09:47 PM. Reason: re-read original post by OP

Comment

Originally posted by captcha View Post
          I think you should put the expiration date of the visa that you're on as the "end date" on your DS-160 application (since technically, you're not allowed to work beyond that).

EDIT: I just read your original post again. It asks for previous employers. If you were working with your current employer for > 5 years (which is true), I think you should leave the previous employers section blank.

Thank you very much for your reply !! I will keep the previous employer section blank (i.e. select No) .

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply !! I will keep the previous employer section blank (i.e. select No) .

Hi Debashish - I am in the same situation and could you reply whether you have chosen the option as 'Yes' or No. If Yes means, I guess, you would have entered your previous employer details dated 7 years back. Please confirm this and it is useful to me. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Reg previous employment in DS-160 form

Hi debashish - I am in the same situation whether to choose YES or NO . Can I know which option did you filled and if you have chosen 'NO' then, have you got any questions during interview. Could you please respond to this as this would be very useful.

Raghvi - It seems debashish is not active for long time in portal. Could you also respond to this question, if you have seen any such occurrence with other members. Thanks.
              Thanks.

Comment

Reg previous employment in DS-160 form

I contacted attorney and I was told to make it NO for previous employment since I have same employer for more than 5 years. If you say Yes and give today's date as employment end date, officer can think that your employment ended on that date and can lead to further questions and confusion. So I chose NO for that answer. I got my visa stamped without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by msk123 View Post
                  I contacted attorney and I was told to make it NO for previous employment since I have same employer for more than 5 years. If you say Yes and give today's date as employment end date, officer can think that your employment ended on that date and can lead to further questions and confusion. So I chose NO for that answer. I got my visa stamped without issues.
                  Really appreciate and Thanking you for your valuable response. I will go with it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X