No announcement yet.

221(g) Green Slip for H-1B Visa: No Confirmation Email on Document Submission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 221(g) Green Slip for H-1B Visa: No Confirmation Email on Document Submission

Hi All,

I work for a search applications company (like Google, for example). Most of my job involves natural language processing and/or machine learning. My background is as follows:

Highest degree: Masters
    Field: Mechanical Engineering, major in Robotics/ML
    University: Carnegie Mellon University
    Graduation: December, 2012

Here are the details of my interview:

Interview date: January 6th, 2015
    Interview time: 10.00 AM
    Interview location: Mumbai

VO: Good morning
    Me: Hi!

VO: Can I have your passport please
    Me: (submitted passport)

VO: Can I have the I-797 too please
    Me: (submitted I-797)

VO: Where do you work?
    Me: I work at XYZ

VO: What is your highest degree?
    Me: Masters

VO: In what field?
    Me: Mechanical Engineering, with majors in Machine Learning and Robotics

VO: (typing something by now...for about 5 seconds)

VO: What do you work on at XYZ?
    Me: I work on handling large amounts of data, and natural language processing of text

VO: What was your research on, during your Masters?
    Me: (explained research)

VO: (some more typing)

VO: What is your salary at XYZ?
    Me: It's $PQR.

VO: Okay, here are your documents back...We'll need some more documents from you, please submit them as soon as possible. You don't need to come to the Consulate again, we'll contact you if we need your passport. (hands me over my docs and a green page). I'm sorry for the wait!(she says this with a slight smile, as if apologizing)
    Me: Thank you

I submitted the documents they indicated via email (mostly asking about my research topics and funding) on January 8th, 2015 in the morning. However, I never got a confirmation email from them saying they received my documents. Have others had a similar experience? Should I call the Mumbai Consulate about this and ask them, or it's recommended to wait for some time before I do that?

Thanks for reading!

This has been a common problem at the Mumbai Consulate I believe. I have seen quite a few posts regarding this. You may want to send an email to the US Travel Docs address and let them know that you did not receive a confirmation email or maybe call the Mumbai consulate directly and ask them if they received the information. You may want to do this as soon as possible since the processing doesn't begin until they receive the documents.

Comment

Originally posted by weather View Post
      This has been a common problem at the Mumbai Consulate I believe. I have seen quite a few posts regarding this. You may want to send an email to the US Travel Docs address and let them know that you did not receive a confirmation email or maybe call the Mumbai consulate directly and ask them if they received the information. You may want to do this as soon as possible since the processing doesn't begin until they receive the documents.
      @weather: Thanks for your quick response! I'll call them tomorrow at 9.00 AM as that's when the Consulate opens up.

I'll keep this thread updated with my case.

Comment

Response from Call Center At Mumbai Consulate + Email

Hi All,

So, I first tried contacting the U.S. Consulate in Mumbai via Email regarding receipt of documents, from this page: http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/contact.html

I immediately got an automated reply saying that my query will be answered within 1-2 days. Interesting to note, was that the time registered by the automated Email delivery system was EST. I sent this Email to them on Friday this week, at night.

I was going through the contact information on this(http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/contactinformation.html) page earlier today, and found that they have call center hours today as well. So I tried giving it a shot and calling them. The call connected more or less immediately. The person at the other end asked for my passport number and Email ID on my case (strange). I provided the requested information, and then, the person tells me that my case is under administrative processing (no surprise there), and for any details regarding receipt of documents, I should Email the same ID as the one indicated in the above link.

Note: Apparently, the Email that you have on your case file is "recommended" to be used for communicating with the U.S. Consulate in any way. Such an important detail should be a part of the 221(g) colored slip that they give us! What do others think?

Waiting to hear from them on my inquiry now. I'll keep this thread updated as my official case tracker (will also update the 221(g) tracker info).

Thanks!

Comment

Try tracking on CEAC website. For all you know, your application may have been received:

Originally posted by captcha View Post
          Hi All,

So, I first tried contacting the U.S. Consulate in Mumbai via Email regarding receipt of documents, from this page: http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/contact.html

I immediately got an automated reply saying that my query will be answered within 1-2 days. Interesting to note, was that the time registered by the automated Email delivery system was EST. I sent this Email to them on Friday this week, at night.

I was going through the contact information on this(http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/contactinformation.html) page earlier today, and found that they have call center hours today as well. So I tried giving it a shot and calling them. The call connected more or less immediately. The person at the other end asked for my passport number and Email ID on my case (strange). I provided the requested information, and then, the person tells me that my case is under administrative processing (no surprise there), and for any details regarding receipt of documents, I should Email the same ID as the one indicated in the above link.

Note: Apparently, the Email that you have on your case file is "recommended" to be used for communicating with the U.S. Consulate in any way. Such an important detail should be a part of the 221(g) colored slip that they give us! What do others think?

Waiting to hear from them on my inquiry now. I'll keep this thread updated as my official case tracker (will also update the 221(g) tracker info).

Thanks!

Comment

Document Submission Update

@photon101: Thanks for responding to my thread. I've tried using that CEAC case status website, but it's of no use. It's showing "Case Creation Date" and "Status Update Date" as both 01/06/2015 (which is the date of my interview).

I've updated the following tracker with a comment that explains what efforts I took today towards making sure they got my documents:

Next, I plan to call the Department of State in the U.S. to try and get a confirmation. I'm not too hopeful, but what else could I do?

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Got Confirmation Email from MumbaiTech

Hi All,

Some positive development, albeit after a LOT of headache.

So, I got the SAME response that I got earlier from [email protected] when I submitted the documents to them in an attached email.

I tried calling the Department of State number in San Fran, California (** 415-705-1176) but the number wasn't connecting for some reason.

Anyway, I created a THIRD Gmail account, and resubmitted my documents to the MumbaiTech Email ID in my 221(g) notice. And guess what? I got a response from them saying that they'll contact me when there is a determination in my case!

It seems that the U.S. Consulate office in Mumbai is sporadic in their acknowledgements. I see no definite reason for them sending a confirmation to my third submission from a third Email ID, and not for the previous two.

I'll keep this thread updated as I learn more.

Thanks!
              Last edited by captcha; 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM. Reason: "..previous too" changed to "..previous two"

Comment

Hi, I was reading all the threads and I beleive I am in the same boat.

I got a 221g green slip and submitted my documents on Dec 17th. Never got an automated response that the documents were received.

Emailed support..email id asking a simple question "did you recieve the documents?" Got a generic reply then was told to send email to support-india..email id but they came back saying the samw generic thing.

I am assuming this is happeneing with others?
                I still havent heard anything back and the CEAC status link says the same date as my visa interview date and administrative processing..

My situation sounds similar to another user "captcha". Could you please let me know if there is any update on your case?

Thanks.

Comment

Progress At U.S. Consulate, Mumbai?

Hi attitude28,

Yes, that does sound similar to what I experienced. Except, the third time that I sent them the documents (from a different email ID), I did get a response from the Mumbai Tech team. I think you should contact the Department of State immediately, to confirm that they received your documents. This is because they won't start your application processing until they receive your documents. So it's best to verify that they did.

@others: I saw a comment on the 221(g) tracker that said there was some progress at the Mumbai Consulate office regarding the processing of 221(g) cases this week. Can anyone else confirm with proper sources and links to those sources? On the tracker, a user who got green 221(g) finally got his visa approved on 01/15/2015. His interview date was 11/14/2014.

Thanks and hope someone gets back soon!

Comment

Hi,

I emailed and also called the vfs office. They have recieved my documents alright. I think there does not seem to be any consistency in terms of sending automated responses. So if you receieved the response after sending it the third time does it mean it starts processing from then or the first time you sent it for which you didnt recieve a response.

The 11/18 one took 2 months considering that there were a lot of holidays but still it seems a lot. Hope they move faster here on.

Comment

Originally posted by attidude28 View Post
                      Hi,

I emailed and also called the vfs office. They have recieved my documents alright. I think there does not seem to be any consistency in terms of sending automated responses. So if you receieved the response after sending it the third time does it mean it starts processing from then or the first time you sent it for which you didnt recieve a response.

The 11/18 one took 2 months considering that there were a lot of holidays but still it seems a lot. Hope they move faster here on.

They get it the first time we send it. My best guess is the automated responses are timed to work only during office hours. So you may not get one if you send your docs during odd hours. I contacted [email protected] to confirm receipt. I got the following email, "We are in the receipt of the documents sent, your application remains pending under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act for mandatory administrative processing. In general, most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days of the visa interview; however, timing varies based on the individual circumstances of each case. The Department of State is continuously working to expedite visas. We appreciate your patience. Please be assured that we will contact you as soon as the processing in your case is complete."

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation.

Has anyone who submitted documents in December first week heard anything back?

Thanks

Comment

Request to Submit Passport

Hi All,

I got a request to submit my passport today afternoon. It's been 21 days exact, since I submitted my documents.

I've updated the tracker: http://www.immihelp.com/experience/6...plication.html

Thanks!

Comment

Thats awesome... I submittedmy documents on Dec 17th. I guess they are processing them at random..

Comment

Could you also please let me know the email address from which you received the email? Just so that it does not end up in Junk folder.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X