Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ques: Few years on H1b and green card processing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ques: Few years on H1b and green card processing.

Hi,

I have used 4 years of H1-B, H1 expires on 12/09/2016. I am working as Software engineer. My employer plans to file green card application for me shortly.

I am planning to change my job in a couple of months from now. I needed a few clarifications -

1) Before hiring, does employers consider the time left on H1?
    2) If I change my employer say in 2-3 months from now, will I have enough time to get my green card application to a stage where I can get the H1 extensions after it expires?
    2) Is it wise to change job now or wait till I get my I-140 and then wait for 180 days? Please suggest.

Appreciate your response. Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by aseth View Post
    Hi,

I have used 4 years of H1-B, H1 expires on 12/09/2016. I am working as Software engineer. My employer plans to file green card application for me shortly.

I am planning to change my job in a couple of months from now. I needed a few clarifications -

1) Before hiring, does employers consider the time left on H1?
    2) If I change my employer say in 2-3 months from now, will I have enough time to get my green card application to a stage where I can get the H1 extensions after it expires?
    2) Is it wise to change job now or wait till I get my I-140 and then wait for 180 days? Please suggest.

Appreciate your response. Thank you in advance.
    1. Yes most of them do unless they need to fulfill a contract position for few months and they know the job will be finished before your H1 expires.
    2. Timing wise you still have 6-9 Months to plan out , check with your next employer how soon would they be able to file for your GC.
    3. It depends upon the answer to 2 above. If next employer is unwilling to do so within a few months of you joining , then I would suggest you stay with your current employer till 180 days of I140 approved.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X