Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax returns - claiming for dependents who did not live in US

Hi,

I am married on Dec, 2014. My wife will join me in US by May, 2015 only.
    When I tried to file returns in Turbo Tax, it asks "Are you married as of Dec 31, 2014". If I say yes, I should file joint with my wife after she comes here and gets ITIN.
    But she did not live with me in 2014. So should I file tax returns as SINGLE? or MARRIED and JOINT WITH DEPENDENT?

I called IRS on this. They asked me some Yes or No questions and suggested to file as MARRIED and JOINT WITH DEPENDENT only.
    But she did not live with me in 2014.
    How should I file my returns. Can someone advise?

If you have a married status as of 12/31, you are entitled to file as "married/joint" for that taxable year, regardless of whether you lived together or not.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Premkumar_s02 View Post
    Hi,

I am married on Dec, 2014. My wife will join me in US by May, 2015 only.
    When I tried to file returns in Turbo Tax, it asks "Are you married as of Dec 31, 2014". If I say yes, I should file joint with my wife after she comes here and gets ITIN.
    But she did not live with me in 2014. So should I file tax returns as SINGLE? or MARRIED and JOINT WITH DEPENDENT?

I called IRS on this. They asked me some Yes or No questions and suggested to file as MARRIED and JOINT WITH DEPENDENT only.
    But she did not live with me in 2014.
    How should I file my returns. Can someone advise?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X