Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b - H4 - Income tax filing

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding filing my income tax. I am currently working on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa and have an ITIN.
    She left the country On Nov 2014 and shes still in India and most probably she will not return until next year(2016) Mid/End.

Since she is not planning to return back until 2016 Mid so she will be out of US for the complete 2015. Can I file as married filing jointly for Tax year 2015 ie when I file next year?

One of my friend suggested that I can file jointly based on the following link - Election to file joint return

So If I follow the above guidance and file jointly (made a choice to file joint) then what should I do for my Fed tax payroll withholding. Its currently deducted with two exemptions(filing joint). Do I need to change the exemption to 1 or leave it as it is. the reason I am asking is in the above article they mentioned -
    In addition, you may still be treated as a nonresident alien for the purpose of withholding Social Security and Medicare tax. Refer to Aliens Employed in the U.S. – Social Security Taxes.

So I am not sure whether I need to adjust the exemptions or continue as filing joint with 2 exemptions.

Appreciate your answers. Thanks in advance.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X