Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Extension, Received i797B even when its approved

Hi there,

My company filled my H1b extension petition in Dec 2014 and it got approved by March 2015, while my recent i94 got expired in March itself. Now that I received a i797 form from USCIS it mentions consular notification i.e. i797B instead of i797A and updated i94. There is no change in my employer and neither i have maxed out. Its my very first petition for extension after staying US for a year.
    Is that a mistake by authority or an extra check by them to make sure I have to go through the stamping interview before they can grant new i94?
    If my company has to contact USCIS does it take lesser time than 30 days to get a response? Also I cant legally stay in US any longer since my i94 expired and I dont have an updated one?

Originally posted by deepaksehra View Post
    Hi there,

My company filled my H1b extension petition in Dec 2014 and it got approved by March 2015, while my recent i94 got expired in March itself. Now that I received a i797 form from USCIS it mentions consular notification i.e. i797B instead of i797A and updated i94. There is no change in my employer and neither i have maxed out. Its my very first petition for extension after staying US for a year.
    Is that a mistake by authority or an extra check by them to make sure I have to go through the stamping interview before they can grant new i94?
    If my company has to contact USCIS does it take lesser time than 30 days to get a response? Also I cant legally stay in US any longer since my i94 expired and I dont have an updated one?
    Did they give any reason why they did so?

If you got an I797B then yes you would have to go outside US for a fresh H1 stamping. You can try to question USCIS but then with an expired I-94 I would say it would be advisable to go for a H1 stamping.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X