H1 expiry and H4 travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 expiry and H4 travel

Hi, my husband is currently in the US on H1B. His H1B expires on Sep 30,2015 and we were advised by his company to get the H4 stamping done by May i.e., at least 4 months before the primary applicant's visa expiry. Wanted to know if this is a rule with the consulate? in addition, should I also travel by May or will it do if I get the stamping alone done?

Originally posted by Shivani163 View Post
    Hi, my husband is currently in the US on H1B. His H1B expires on Sep 30,2015 and we were advised by his company to get the H4 stamping done by May i.e., at least 4 months before the primary applicant's visa expiry. Wanted to know if this is a rule with the consulate? in addition, should I also travel by May or will it do if I get the stamping alone done?

There is no such rule, till when is your I797 valid? If it is also valid only till Sep 30-2015, then your dependents would get H4 only till 30-Sep-2015.

Also fail to comprehend " should I also travel by May or will it do if I get the stamping alone done". Who is traveling? Who is going for stamping?

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Hi Raghvi, thanks for the reply. My husband holds a H1B visa and we are trying to get a H4 for me. My husband's I797 is valid till Sep,30 2015. My husband's company has started his visa extension process, but we do not want to wait till we get the extension approval receipt. If i go for H4 stamping now, I understand I will be issued a visa with validity till Sep 30th only. In that case, I wanted to know if there's any time limit before the visa expiry by which I need to be in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by Shivani163 View Post
        Hi Raghvi, thanks for the reply. My husband holds a H1B visa and we are trying to get a H4 for me. My husband's I797 is valid till Sep,30 2015. My husband's company has started his visa extension process, but we do not want to wait till we get the extension approval receipt. If i go for H4 stamping now, I understand I will be issued a visa with validity till Sep 30th only. In that case, I wanted to know if there's any time limit before the visa expiry by which I need to be in the US?
        No such time limit, you can travel upto visa validity date, at the Port of Entry you will get I94 only till 30-Sep-2015, and would need to file an extension if wish to continue stay beyond that date, also, the next time you leave US after 30 Sep 2015 you would have to go for fresh stamping.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Raghvi.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X