Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN Issue - New rules from DEC 17 '05 - Pls Read

Hi,
    I juz got my H1B approval and I went to apply for SSN . In the SSN office they said that rules have changed since DEC 17,2005 that one can apply for SSN only if they have a valid I-94 in an unexpired passport or should provide Employment Authorization Card (I-766 or I-688B).
    I have only my prev I-94 in the passport which came with my prev H4 and also that got expired. Got an I-94 with the H1B notice of action but SSN officers are not accepting it since they need one that comes with passport (as per new rule) or I should provide them my Employment Authorization Card.

Check this link for the new crappy SSN rules. http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10120.html

Believe forms I-766 and I688B are for EAD(Employment Authorization Document), that comes as the last step of getting GC and also it takes its own time to get an Employment Authorization Card.
    Now...
    1. Can't I get a SSN without getting my H1B stamped?
    2. Can I work in the US without applying for SSN ?(I have valid I-797)
    3. If I can't work without a SSN, how can get my H1B stamped without paystubs?

I'm totally confused abt what to do.
    Pls tell me what could be done in this situation.

Thanks.

Sathya

Well, is it not true that I-94 vlaidates your stay in the USA? Iam sorry if Iam wrong. If this is right, you can stay with an expired I-94 but you got to get it renewed, and you cannot get an ssn with an expired I94.
    Last edited by bobby_maganti; 12-22-2005, 05:49 PM.
    NOT A LEGAL ADVISER
    USE IT AT YOUR RISK

STRONGLY BELIVE US VISA IS A LOTTERY WON BY MANY .

Comment

How can I get SSN?

Thanks. But I know that I can stay in the US with the I-94 I have but the question is how can one get a SSN with the scenario that I have explained.Since I need SSN to start working.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X