Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H4 visa stamped with FNU as first name... please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 visa stamped with FNU as first name... please help!

Hi,

I am currently in Hartford, CT on an H1 Visa. We got our Visa stamped together (my husband and I) what we did not realize at that time was that his name was as follows in the passport:
    First Name: ABC XYZ
    Surname:
    Hence the H4 visa is now stamped as:
    First Name: FNU
    Surname: ABC XYZ
    Since my husband is still in India and as I read all about the "curse of FNU" we want to get it corrected before he travels. I have a few questions related to this. Please do help me out if you can.
    1. Should we apply for a new passport and book a fresh appointment and get the stamping done? If yes then should we carry the old passport at the time of the interview?
    2. Should my husband travel to US and then we try to get this rectified here.
    3. If he gets a new passport in India and goes for stamping again on this new passport is there a possibility that it would be rejected?
    4. Someone suggested to go ahead saying that the passport with the stamped H4 visa is lost and then apply for a new one? Is that advisable.

Please help... I am in great dilema. We are in two different countries and fear that if the Visa gets rejected now we will be giving away a perfectly proper stamped visa. Please help!!!

Originally posted by Roshni Kuttan View Post
    Hi,

I am currently in Hartford, CT on an H1 Visa. We got our Visa stamped together (my husband and I) what we did not realize at that time was that his name was as follows in the passport:
    First Name: ABC XYZ
    Surname:
    Hence the H4 visa is now stamped as:
    First Name: FNU
    Surname: ABC XYZ
    Since my husband is still in India and as I read all about the "curse of FNU" we want to get it corrected before he travels. I have a few questions related to this. Please do help me out if you can.
    1. Should we apply for a new passport and book a fresh appointment and get the stamping done? If yes then should we carry the old passport at the time of the interview?
    2. Should my husband travel to US and then we try to get this rectified here.
    3. If he gets a new passport in India and goes for stamping again on this new passport is there a possibility that it would be rejected?
    4. Someone suggested to go ahead saying that the passport with the stamped H4 visa is lost and then apply for a new one? Is that advisable.

Please help... I am in great dilema. We are in two different countries and fear that if the Visa gets rejected now we will be giving away a perfectly proper stamped visa. Please help!!!
    1. Yes.
    2. That way he still wouldnt get a visa with a corrected name, he still would need ot go for stamping in order to get a visa with correct name.
    3. For H4 very little chances of rejection as long as primary H1 is maintaining valid H1 status.
    4. Not at all advisable.

Apply for in tatkaal get, passport corrected, apply for H4 in drop box and interview waiver (if eligible) and I think the whole process can be completed in Max 1 Month.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X