Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I797B approval notice came without I-94, and asks to go out of country

Hi,
    It's a long description, but please bear with me.
    I was working with Comp A on an L1 visa, since Jun'12. In Apr'14, I got a job with another Comp B, and they filed H1B visa petition for me, to get a change of status from L1B to H1B. I received final approval (after an RFE) in Dec'14, with an I-94 valid till 2017. But the approval notice said the validity effective date from Nov 3rd 2014. All this while I had continued to work with Comp A. When I got the approval in Dec'14, I put my papers & served notice period with Comp A till Jan'15. I had Comp A paystubs till Jan'15. However, I could not join Comp B now as the position was no longer available due to delays in visa approval. So I did not have any paystubs for Feb'15 and Mar'15. In Mar'15, I got another job with Comp C, and they filed for my H1B visa transfer. I again got an RFE, and one of the reason was proof of maintaining status (due to lack of paystubs). I acknowledged this and shared some email communication between Comp B and myself to prove that the position was no longer available, and hence, I couldn't join them. Last week I finally got the approval, but it came without status (I-94). The notice does not clearly states the reason for this, but it mentions that I can go out of US, and come back with an H1B stamp. I want to know/understand what are my options now.
    1) Is there a way to fix this without leaving US? Or do I really have to go out of country?
    2) Can I ask USCIS to reconsider the extension, and grant me the I-94?
    3) Shouldn't they have considered the previous I-94 validity?
    4) If I do have to go to India, what are the risks/questions that I should be prepared for?
    5) If, for some reason, my H1B is denied with Comp C (after consulate interview), will my previous H1B also become invalid?

Thanks for the help.

Regards.

Originally posted by absin View Post
    Hi,
    It's a long description, but please bear with me.
    I was working with Comp A on an L1 visa, since Jun'12. In Apr'14, I got a job with another Comp B, and they filed H1B visa petition for me, to get a change of status from L1B to H1B. I received final approval (after an RFE) in Dec'14, with an I-94 valid till 2017. But the approval notice said the validity effective date from Nov 3rd 2014. All this while I had continued to work with Comp A. When I got the approval in Dec'14, I put my papers & served notice period with Comp A till Jan'15. I had Comp A paystubs till Jan'15. However, I could not join Comp B now as the position was no longer available due to delays in visa approval. So I did not have any paystubs for Feb'15 and Mar'15. In Mar'15, I got another job with Comp C, and they filed for my H1B visa transfer. I again got an RFE, and one of the reason was proof of maintaining status (due to lack of paystubs). I acknowledged this and shared some email communication between Comp B and myself to prove that the position was no longer available, and hence, I couldn't join them. Last week I finally got the approval, but it came without status (I-94). The notice does not clearly states the reason for this, but it mentions that I can go out of US, and come back with an H1B stamp. I want to know/understand what are my options now.
    1) Is there a way to fix this without leaving US? Or do I really have to go out of country?
    2) Can I ask USCIS to reconsider the extension, and grant me the I-94?
    3) Shouldn't they have considered the previous I-94 validity?
    4) If I do have to go to India, what are the risks/questions that I should be prepared for?
    5) If, for some reason, my H1B is denied with Comp C (after consulate interview), will my previous H1B also become invalid?

Thanks for the help.

Regards.
    With no pay from B and no valid I-94 for working with C pretty much makes you out of status and with every passing day the number of out of days is only gettign accumulated.
    1. I dont think so that you have much option.
    2. On what basis?
    3. I-94 merely is validity of stay, your validity of maintaining status is decided by you getting paid as per LCA which you didnt while working with B.
    4. Worst case H1 rejection, best case acceptance of H1 petition for C and a valid visa.
    5. You may still be cap exempt.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      With no pay from B and no valid I-94 for working with C pretty much makes you out of status and with every passing day the number of out of days is only gettign accumulated.
      1. I dont think so that you have much option.
      2. On what basis?
      3. I-94 merely is validity of stay, your validity of maintaining status is decided by you getting paid as per LCA which you didnt while working with B.
      4. Worst case H1 rejection, best case acceptance of H1 petition for C and a valid visa.
      5. You may still be cap exempt.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
      Raghvi: what happened with your interview?
      I am in same boat so asking this.

Comment

Originally posted by vishal27580 View Post
        Raghvi: what happened with your interview?
        I am in same boat so asking this.
        Fortunately for me, the interview was short and straightforward. The interviewer asked simple questions about the job like - company, designation, salary, location, and name of the college. She didn't go into any detail, and neither raised any questions about past job, change of visa, etc. Something that I sensed during the interview - my company name and college name eased the interview. Those were the first 2 questions, and the interviewer seemed to go easy after that.

All the best. Hope it goes the same way for you.
        Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by absin View Post
          Fortunately for me, the interview was short and straightforward. The interviewer asked simple questions about the job like - company, designation, salary, location, and name of the college. She didn't go into any detail, and neither raised any questions about past job, change of visa, etc. Something that I sensed during the interview - my company name and college name eased the interview. Those were the first 2 questions, and the interviewer seemed to go easy after that.

All the best. Hope it goes the same way for you.
          Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Regards.
          Where did you go for interview?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X