X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-797 is valid beyod passport validity

Hi,

Here is my situation. Please advise.

My H1 petition is approved and I got validity till 2017 Dec. But my passport is valid till 2017 Jan.

Do I need to renew my passport so that I will get passport validity beyond my I-797 or I can still go ahead with stamping process with my current passport itself. Will I get VISA validity only till 2017 Jan or till 2017 Dec. Thanks.

Do not mix two things up. Passport validity is only required at the time of visa application (typically 6 months). I-797 is a valid until Dec 2017. You should renew the paspport before Jan 2017. The visa will be valid until Dec 2017 based on H1 I-797.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Indian Passport can be renewed only within 1 year from its expiry. As long as your passport is valid for more than 6 months on the date of your visa interview, the H1B visa will be issued until the H1B petition expiry date. Once you renew your passport, you can use the valid visa from your old passport to travel (Must carry both new and old passport).
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
        Indian Passport can be renewed only within 1 year from its expiry. As long as your passport is valid for more than 6 months on the date of your visa interview, the H1B visa will be issued until the H1B petition expiry date. Once you renew your passport, you can use the valid visa from your old passport to travel (Must carry both new and old passport).
        Thanks for your reply shervin143.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X