Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 URGENT HELP!

[B]Hi all,
    I just got admission at a Design school in New York. I am currently in the US with my husband on H4. The problem is I want to transfer my H4 to F1 and that process takes time.My registration is going to take place on 17th Jan. When I spoke to the International student advisor regarding this, he suggested that I should register on H4 and start attending the classes as it is legal to study on H4 and my H4 is valid till 2007, till the time I get my F1. The whole purpose of converting to F1 & do this course is to get OPT.So my questions are:
    1) How long will it take to change my H4 to F1?
    2)What is the cost?
    3)What happens in case I do not get F1? I do not want to register on H4 and then be stuck with it as in that case I wont be able to work part-time or wont get OPT which makes it useless for me to study here and waste awful lot of money as fees.
    4)What are the chances that I might not get approved for Change of Status here itself and what does it depend on? Or would I have to go to India to change it? My classes start from Jan 23rd.
    5)Also what kind of documents do I need to submit to show ties back to the country?Both me & my husband are here. The only document that I have is an agreement showing purchase of an apartment in India. Would that suffice?

Time is running out and I have to decide ASAP.SO PLEASE REPLY ASAP.I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

I feel lost & confused. Having sleepless nights bcoz of this tension. Someone please guide me who has had such experience.
    Last edited by nins; 01-04-2006, 12:49 PM.

F1 status is needed if you wish to get any form of financial assistance from the institute.
    To get H4 to F1, you need to prove your non-immigrant intent for which proof of financial and emotional ties often help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X