Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between "Eligibility to work" and "authorized to work"

Dear all good afternoon,

I'm from Italy, and I've been searching for a new job since one month, more or less.

I've sent several resumes, but I still have a little doubt about something I consider misleading...

"Eligible to work" VS "authorized to work"

It seems not clear to me, as in some careers site there are just the classic "Y/N" options, while in others there are "Y/N or yes, but I'd require a sponsorship".

Now, assuming the fact that I theoretically could be "eligible" in sense that I've never been convicted, I am older than 18, I have a master degree and I could be included in the skilled workers section (hospitality manager), am I "Eligible to work" in the proper way?

I already know that I'm still unauthorized to work because I'm not a visa holder for now, but I personally believe that if I'll answer Y to the first question about eligibility, it would be technically true.

The opposite side is that if a possible employer tries to fill a I-9 form, he will not be able to complete it as for example I have no social security number...

So, well, that's why I consider this thing a little bit misleading...

Do you have any suggestion about it? I'd like to avoid to give untrue info to a possible future employer...

Thank you in advance for the kind support!

With respect to job offers, an employers hiring criteria of "eligible to work" and "authorized to work" mean the same thing. That is, they are seeking prospective employees who are authorized to work for any employer in the United States without the need of visa sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      With respect to job offers, an employers hiring criteria of "eligible to work" and "authorized to work" mean the same thing. That is, they are seeking prospective employees who are authorized to work for any employer in the United States without the need of visa sponsorship.
      thank you for the ultra-quick answer! generally speaking, it's predictable that this is the ultimate scope of the question, but I have in mind the companies who actually sponsor several H1B visas every year...they insert both questions, so that's why I have this doubt, because it seems that they have no "fear" to start the h1b path, so why ask the first question when you also ask the second one? :/

Comment

When they insert that statement into the job posting, it implies their intention to fill the job position without having to sponsor a visa.
        For what it is worth, Food Service Manager is an eligible H-1B occupation.
        Last edited by inadmissible; 07-02-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          When they insert that statement into the job posting, it implies their intention to fill the job position without having to sponsor a visa.
          For what it is worth, Food Service Manager is an eligible H-1B occupation.

Good morning,

thank you again for the specification.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X