H1B Extension Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Extension Issue

I have one year left in my first H1B cycle. What are the issues in going for extension now itself, so that I will have four years for second cycle.

Is there any advantage to holding on to first cycle for 3 yrs? in view of PERM or otherwise?

Not sure what exactly you are asking. There is no such thing as cycles while filing the extension.

A H1B cap is valid for 6 years and you can keep filing extension until you have used all 6 years in that CAP. For filing extensions beyond the 6th year, you will need an approved I-140. The max years that one will get while filing a H1B petition is 3 years. It doesn't mean that you will always get 3 years. USCIS can approve the extension for less than 3 years (sometimes even months) if they suspect that the employer doesn't have work for that long. Extension can be filed only 6 months prior to the latest I-94 expiry date.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      Not sure what exactly you are asking. There is no such thing as cycles while filing the extension.

A H1B cap is valid for 6 years and you can keep filing extension until you have used all 6 years in that CAP. For filing extensions beyond the 6th year, you will need an approved I-140. The max years that one will get while filing a H1B petition is 3 years. It doesn't mean that you will always get 3 years. USCIS can approve the extension for less than 3 years (sometimes even months) if they suspect that the employer doesn't have work for that long. Extension can be filed only 6 months prior to the latest I-94 expiry date.
      Thanks for your response. Are you sure about your last statement " Extension can be filed only 6 months prior to the latest I-94 expiry date."

My I-94 expires on 1st SEP and my law firm advised that we could file H1B extension to extend the I94.... They dont seem to be bothered that my I-94 expires in less than 2 months... Note however my I797 is valid till Dec 16...

Comment

I guess you misunderstood what I was trying to say. The earliest that an extension of status can be filed is 6 months before the I-94 expiry date. If your I-94 has a validity of more than 6 months, then you cannot file the extension now. If your I-94 has a validity of less than 6 months, then the extension can be filed anytime before the I-94 expiry date. My earlier response was based on your question where you mentioned that you still have 1 year left on your approved H1B.

Originally posted by punapuna86 View Post
        Thanks for your response. Are you sure about your last statement " Extension can be filed only 6 months prior to the latest I-94 expiry date."

My I-94 expires on 1st SEP and my law firm advised that we could file H1B extension to extend the I94.... They dont seem to be bothered that my I-94 expires in less than 2 months... Note however my I797 is valid till Dec 16...
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X