X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouse Travel to USA

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are doing good.

Next week my wife travelling to USA. But, she cannot speak or understand English properly.
    Please provide any letter format to the POE officer so that she can show the letter to the POE officer.
    She has the documents for I-797, I-94, Marriage Certificates.
    Request you to provide any letter format that will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Venkat

With what visa type is your wife entering the U.S.?

What language does she speak?

At which Port of Entry will she be processed?

--RayB

Originally posted by venkatgm View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Hope you are doing good.

Next week my wife travelling to USA. But, she cannot speak or understand English properly.
    Please provide any letter format to the POE officer so that she can show the letter to the POE officer.
    She has the documents for I-797, I-94, Marriage Certificates.
    Request you to provide any letter format that will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Venkat

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      With what visa type is your wife entering the U.S.?

What language does she speak?

At which Port of Entry will she be processed?

--RayB

Thanks for your response.

She is having H4 VISA.
      She can speak Hindi, Gujarati, and Telugu.
      JFK (New York) will be the Port of Entry.

Please do the needful
      Last edited by venkatgm; 07-11-2015, 06:51 PM. Reason: Adding additional information

Comment

Well, that clears the air. Just draft a simple note which identifies her by name, birthdate and visa type. List her languages spoken, mainly Hindi for a possible translator nearby, if needed. AND PROVIDE A U.S. PHONE NUMBER FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN TRANSLATE OVER THE PHONE, if needed.

This reminds me of last time my wife (Filipina) and I entered New York from a flight from Spain (Madrid). The most common second language in NYC is probably Spanish, and a woman there was trying to ask questions in Spanish and there were no official Spanish translators nearby, but plenty of Spanish-speaking arrivals. My wife made a "smart-***" remark that the woman should know that America is an "English-speaking" country. I had to scold my wife before someone nearby got into an argument with her.

Once back in the early 1970's I was sitting in the main INS office in downtown Los Angeles, and a call went out for a Spanish-speaking staff officer. There was nobody on duty in that Los Angeles office who was available to translate Spanish. And more than half of the clients were Hispanic. Remember that that was around 1973 or so, and it wouldn't be the same today.

--Ray B

Thanks for your response.

She is having H4 VISA.
        She can speak Hindi, Gujarati, and Telugu.
        JFK (New York) will be the Port of Entry.

Please do the needful

Comment

Well, that clears the air. Just draft a simple note which identifies her by name, birthdate and visa type. List her languages spoken, mainly Hindi for a possible translator nearby, if needed. AND PROVIDE A U.S. PHONE NUMBER FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN TRANSLATE OVER THE PHONE, if needed.

This reminds me of last time my wife (Filipina) and I entered New York from a flight from Spain (Madrid). The most common second language in NYC is probably Spanish, and a woman there was trying to ask questions in Spanish and there were no official Spanish translators nearby, but plenty of Spanish-speaking arrivals. My wife made a "smart-***" remark that the woman should know that America is an "English-speaking" country. I had to scold my wife before someone nearby got into an argument with her.

Once back in the early 1970's I was sitting in the main INS office in downtown Los Angeles, and a call went out for a Spanish-speaking staff officer. There was nobody on duty in that Los Angeles office who was available to translate Spanish. And more than half of the clients were Hispanic. Remember that that was around 1973 or so, and it wouldn't be the same today.

--Ray B
          Thanks for your quick response.

Sorry to ask you that.. i am not getting what u said.
          You mean i need to specify her name and details in this forum or the details required in letter format.
          When she landed down at New York even i will go to the airport to receive her.

She is having my contact details also.

Request you to clarify the details.

Thanks in Advance
          Last edited by venkatgm; 07-11-2015, 08:20 PM. Reason: added additonal information

Comment

I'm not asking you to post anything personal in this forum. I'm telling you what to include with a letter she should carry to show at the Port of Entry. Plus a provided some personal experience I have had as "icing on the cake."

--Ray B

Thanks for your quick response.

Sorry to ask you that.. i am not getting what u said.
            You mean i need to specify her name and details in this forum or the details required in letter format.
            When she landed down at New York even i will go to the airport to receive her.

She is having my contact details also.

Request you to clarify the details.

Thanks in Advance

Comment

I'm not asking you to post anything personal in this forum. I'm telling you what to include with a letter she should carry to show at the Port of Entry. Plus a provided some personal experience I have had as "icing on the cake."

--Ray B

Thank you very much...

I am preparing for letter and need some guidance for the same.

So, could you please provide suggestions like what needs to be included about preparing letter format to POE officer.

Thanks in Advance.

Comment

Just draft a simple note which identifies her by name, birthdate and visa type. List her languages spoken, mainly Hindi probably, for a possible translator nearby, if needed. AND PROVIDE A U.S. PHONE NUMBER FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN TRANSLATE OVER THE PHONE, if needed.

The above advice is best I can do short of actually writing the letter for you.

--Ray B

Thank you very much...

I am preparing for letter and need some guidance for the same.

So, could you please provide suggestions like what needs to be included about preparing letter format to POE officer.

Thanks in Advance.

Comment

Just draft a simple note which identifies her by name, birthdate and visa type. List her languages spoken, mainly Hindi probably, for a possible translator nearby, if needed. AND PROVIDE A U.S. PHONE NUMBER FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN TRANSLATE OVER THE PHONE, if needed.

The above advice is best I can do short of actually writing the letter for you.

--Ray B

Thank you... it will be very helpful to me.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X