Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b petition expiry date and visa expiration date

Hi,

I am on H1B visa. My Visa Expiration date and Petition EXpiration date is both on 29th Jan 2016.

To stay beyond 29th Jan 2016 in the US , what are the actions which has to be taken?
    Can it be extended while staying at US or should I need to return to home country?

Originally posted by aditithakur View Post
    Hi,

I am on H1B visa. My Visa Expiration date and Petition EXpiration date is both on 29th Jan 2016.

To stay beyond 29th Jan 2016 in the US , what are the actions which has to be taken?
    Can it be extended while staying at US or should I need to return to home country?
    Visa expiry, I797 expiry, and I94 expiry are three different things.Assuming I-94 is also expiring 29-Jan-2016,

In order to stay and work in US beyond 29-Jan-2016, your H1 employer would have to file an extension using I129. The approval of the same should result in a new I797. If extension of stay is also approved along with the extension of petition then the lower portion of I797 would have a new I-94, if petition is approved but extension of stay denied you would have to leave US and go to a US consulate outside US and get your self a new H1 visa in the passport.

In order to leave US and re enter after 29-Jan-2016, you need to get yourself a new visa in the passport. You can get that by using the above described I797 to schedule the visa appointment at a Us consulate outside US.

Bottom line, first thing would be to ask your employer to file for H1 extension.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

And extension can be filed anytime within 6 months from your I-94 expiry date. Filing the extension early is advisable.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X