Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Designated Consulate and Passport Validity

Hi,

I have the I-797 for 3 years but my current passport will expire in 9 months from now.

Please let me know, if the application is approved, will the visa be provided for the complete duration mentioned in I-797 or till the passport expiry?

The designated consulate mentioned in I-797 is in my home country (Bangladesh) and I am working in South Africa for more than 3 years now. Can I apply in a US Consulate in South Africa or It is a must to apply in the designated consulate?

BR//Rafi

I have the I-797 for 3 years but my current passport will expire in 9 months from now.
    Please let me know, if the application is approved, will the visa be provided for the complete duration mentioned in I-797 or till the passport expiry?
    >>> Hard to predict. It depends on the VO. If the passport will expire in less than a year, then it is possible that the VO can issue the visa only till the passport expiry date.

The designated consulate mentioned in I-797 is in my home country (Bangladesh) and I am working in South Africa for more than 3 years now. Can I apply in a US Consulate in South Africa or It is a must to apply in the designated consulate?
    >>> First time H1B stamping should be from your home country. It is mainly because it is hard to validate your educational certificates in a third country. But if you are currently living in South Africa, then you can apply for the visa there.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      >>> Hard to predict. It depends on the VO. If the passport will expire in less than a year, then it is possible that the VO can issue the visa only till the passport expiry date.

>>> First time H1B stamping should be from your home country. It is mainly because it is hard to validate your educational certificates in a third country. But if you are currently living in South Africa, then you can apply for the visa there.
      Thank you, shervin143, for the reply.

Can I book an appointment with my current passport and later during the interview take my current one with the new one? Will they stamp the visa on my new passport then? All my papers and the interview booking will have my current passport number, that's why confused :-(

People are saying in other threads that a form I-824 is required to change the consulate, but those posts are dated more than 2 years back. Do anybody has any idea about the importance of that form to change the consulate? Or if the US consulate at South Africa agrees to take my application that is enough?

BR//Rafi
      Last edited by ridwanrafi; 08-19-2015, 03:38 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X