X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interchanging first name and last name in the passport

Hi,
    I have a peculiar problem.
    I gor H1b visa last month from chennai consulate.
    I am travelling to US next month. My passport is valid only for about 4 months more. I have to renew it in USA. During the renewal of passport, I want to change my first name and my last name. This is bcos my first name and last name is interchanged in the passport. If I try to change it now, Does it affect my visa also?. What is the best can i do?
    - suresh

If I was you, I would carry carry a notary letter stating my real name in right format which would help me in changing the name on passport during renewal. I can even carry my study certificates as prooff or DL too
    NOT A LEGAL ADVISER
    USE IT AT YOUR RISK

STRONGLY BELIVE US VISA IS A LOTTERY WON BY MANY .

Comment

Sureshht,

I have the exactly same problem as yours. I woked in US in H1B for 2 years during 1999 - 2000 and came to India in 2000 end. After that my passport expired and I have interchanged the first and last name in the new passport.

Now I am planning to US again on H1B. I am worried if this will be any issue? All my social security number and old records will have the old name format and I am not sure if this will create any issue in my new H1B. Will I have to use the same SSN or will I be given a new SSN?

Please let me know what you did to correct this.

If anyone can offer some help, I would be greatful.

Thank you,
      Mohan

Comment

bobby , pls suggest whether notaries in india can be shown in US in case of name discrepencies?

Comment

For a name change, like your case, you need to submit a Notarized affidavit from here in USA and along with that you need to have two newspaper clippings one from a newspaper in circulation in the area of your permanent residence in India and the other from a newspaper in circulation in the area of residence here in USA.
          Thats is how I got my name correction done - My surname had my full name and my given name was blank.

Hope this info helps...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X