Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1B and marriage - before and after obtaining visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B and marriage - before and after obtaining visa?

Hello, theoretical question for you guys
    If my boyfriend will get H1B visa, do we have to be married before he even files for it or can we get married after this decision has been made and hell be ready to fly to US? can we get married inside of US (and then adjust my status, from touristic visa to H4, or whatever is the name for the spouse of H1B holder), or can it be in Europe before flying?

Thanks for help.

If my boyfriend will get H1B visa, do we have to be married before he even files for it or can we get married after this decision has been made and hell be ready to fly to US?
    >>> You don't need to be married when his H1B petition is filed. You need to be married to get the H4 dependent visa stamped (which is after successful approval of the H1B petition).

can we get married inside of US (and then adjust my status, from touristic visa to H4, or whatever is the name for the spouse of H1B holder), or can it be in Europe before flying?
    >>> Not advisable to fry to U.S in a visitors visa and get married. You might get questioned when you attend the visa stamping next time. Advisable to get married outside U.S, and then file for H4 visa and travel to U.S on that H4 visa as a dependent.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X