Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying for H4-visa with a gap of two years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for H4-visa with a gap of two years!

Hi All,

I have my H4 visa interview next week and would really appreciate if you can give me any tips/guidance regarding my situation.

I was on F1 visa (Ph.D. program) since 2010. But however due to funding issues at my school and also due to other financial constraints (My husband was then struggling to find a stable job being with a consultant), I decided to take a "Leave from my Ph.D. and returned to India in Sept. 2013.

Now I am planning to go to U.S. as his dependent, but exactly after two years!

I am sure there would be a question about why I am applying for H4-visa after a long time.

Can you please advice me about how to answer this question in the interview?

I am very nervous about this question and would really want to be with my husband.

Thank you very much for your help.

I do not see any issues with your case. Just answer honestly if such question is asked. Outcome of this question is no reason to reject H4 visa. There are many people who stay in their home country while their spouse's work in H1B in U.S. There is no mandatory requirement that the dependents should accompany their spouse in H4. You might have something important to take care in your home country. Explain that and you will be okay.
    Last edited by shervin143; 09-01-2015, 12:51 PM.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Shervin143,

Thank you very much for your reply. That makes me feel a lot better and will definitely help me to answer the question confidently :-)

Comment

Hi,

Will the following reasons sound convincing? I stayed back in India to take care of my in-laws, spend time with my parents and also had my sister's wedding. But I was also working here all this while (Not sure if that would give them any negative impression).

I have one more question if you don't mind. If they ask me about why I took a leave from my Ph.D. program, can I tell them because of funding issues at my school or just tell them that it was mutual decision between me and my husband to prepare for a lot of things in the home country?

Thanks for your time.

Comment

My H4 visa got approved

Just wanted to update. My H4 visa got approved without much questioning. The visa officer just asked me the following questions.
          1. Since when do you know your husband?
          2. Where does he stay?
          3. Have you been to the US before?

That is it and he said that my visa is approved

Comment

Originally posted by Priya_2011 View Post
            Just wanted to update. My H4 visa got approved without much questioning. The visa officer just asked me the following questions.
            1. Since when do you know your husband?
            2. Where does he stay?
            3. Have you been to the US before?

That is it and he said that my visa is approved
            Congratulations and wish you all the best! Thanks for posting the update as well. We need more users doing the same.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X