Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H4 Visa to undergo administrative processing (221g)? HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Visa to undergo administrative processing (221g)? HELP!!

My family and I had our H1B visa interviews a few weeks ago at the US Consulate in Istanbul. We were told that our visas are approved the day of the interview but we received an email from the consulate a week later saying that my 16 year old son (H4) is going to undergo further processing. They also told us to come pick up our passports. When we picked up our passports we were handed a yellow 221g slip for my son.

Today is the 4 weeks mark. Should I be getting worried??

I'm very confused as to what this is. Is it a denial? The VO said the rest of my family's visa are approved but they cannot be issued until my son's visa finishes processing. Is it just a matter of time until they approve him or is he refused? What does the YELLOW slip mean?

Last question, why did the VO said we were approved and a week later my son got handed the 221g? Is this bad?

Please help!!

Search and read about administrative processing or 221g. This is not new. There are plenty of cases where this has happened. The reason for administrative processing varies from person to person. Something in their system might have triggered a background verification on your son's application. 221g doesn't always mean rejection. It means, they cannot approve the visa until they finish further additional verification. The timeline for admin processing cannot be determined as it varies from case to case.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      Search and read about administrative processing or 221g. This is not new. There are plenty of cases where this has happened. The reason for administrative processing varies from person to person. Something in their system might have triggered a background verification on your son's application. 221g doesn't always mean rejection. It means, they cannot approve the visa until they finish further additional verification. The timeline for admin processing cannot be determined as it varies from case to case.
      I can't think of anything that would trigger a background verification on my son. He was in the United States with me from 2009 to April, 2015 and he attended Elementary, Middle, and High school in the U.S. We already had an H1 and H4 Visas for me and my family but they were issued from inside the U.S, therefore when we visited our home country, we had to apply for a visa stamp to get back in. He even has a US driver license and has never been ticketed or arrested. 3.8 GPA. I can't think of anything even close to trigger a background check.

Are there any other reasons that my son is in processing?

Comment

It is very hard to predict on what criteria their system triggers a background verification on an application. If all the records are clean, then it is a matter of time before which the visa gets approved. There were even cases where the application went into verification just for the name check. Someone else with the same name might have been blacklisted which can cause the system to set the application for further verification. Everything seem to be in order in your case. You should hear back soon from the embassy.

Originally posted by aal3 View Post
        I can't think of anything that would trigger a background verification on my son. He was in the United States with me from 2009 to April, 2015 and he attended Elementary, Middle, and High school in the U.S. We already had an H1 and H4 Visas for me and my family but they were issued from inside the U.S, therefore when we visited our home country, we had to apply for a visa stamp to get back in. He even has a US driver license and has never been ticketed or arrested. 3.8 GPA. I can't think of anything even close to trigger a background check.

Are there any other reasons that my son is in processing?
        Last edited by shervin143; 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
          It is very hard to predict on criteria their system triggers a background verification on an application. If all the records are clean, then it is a matter of time before which the visa gets approved. There were even cases where the application went into verification just for the name check. Someone else with the same name might have been blacklisted which can cause the system to set the application for further verification. Everything seem to be in order in your case. You should hear back soon from the embassy.
          I really hope you're right. Nothing is worse than waiting. I feel like my life is on pause until I hear back from them. I don't know if I should try to find a job where I'm at right now or if I should stay focused on the U.S. Its only been 4 weeks so I'm trying to stay positive.

Thank you.

Comment

H1 Visa to undergo administrative processing due to 33 month stay on B1 in 2007

Hi,

I had my Visa interview today for H1B. I was in US for almost 45 months and came back to India for vacation which includes visa extension twice. Very first thing in the interview he asked was : So you were in US on B1 ? I responded yes, I was in US on B1 back in 2007. Then he checked my passport and asked u stayed for 3 months on B1 and I nodded yes. And then he went some where and came back and said that I am cancelling your B1 Visa as you misused B1 visa. I explained him that the project was very complex so I had to be there for 3 months and I got the approval from US immigration team for 3 months. But he was not convinced, he said I am not doubting complexity of the project but u should not have come on B1, you should have rather come on B1.

And then he said that your case will be sent for administrative processing. When I asked how long this will take he said I am not sure, I will be informed by email. I was shocked as I didn't even expected anything like this that also after staying in US for almost 4 years.

Don't know how long it will take..... This is frustrating.....if they had any issue they should have acted before, and why it is an issue when their immigration team only gave the I-94 for 3 months on B1 visa.

Please advise.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X