Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to H1B : Need to change name on Passport

Hi All,

I am one of those unfortunate souls who happen to have a blank Surname on their Passport I came to the US on an F1 visa. My Visa was stamped as follows:
    Last Name: "ABC XYZ"
    First Name: FNU

My H1B(I-797) has been approved with COS which kicks in on 1st Oct 2015. I want to get rid of the FNU by splitting my name on the passport and correct all my immigration documents before I get the H1B visa stamped so that my new I-94 doesn't have FNU on it. I understand that the 1st step in the process would be to get my passport corrected. Has anyone here gone through this process. I also had a couple of questions.

1. Will I need to get the H1B amendment filed to get my name corrected? What is the process for getting this done?

2. Is there a deadline for filing the amendment?

3. Any idea on how much time it will take for the H1B to be corrected?

4 Do I need to get a new LCA?

5. After I get my name on passport changed, will I have to get my I20 and SEVIS records updated? I completed my Masters in the US.

6. I understand that once the passport is updated, I will need to take an appointment with the USCIS and work with CBP officer to get my immigration documents corrected. Any idea on how long this process might take?

If somebody could just post their experience along with the time line involved (rough estimate). Any information will be of help.
    Looking forward to get help from here.

Thank you

1. Will I need to get the H1B amendment filed to get my name corrected? What is the process for getting this done?
    >>> Yes. The employer will need to file an H1B amendment.

2. Is there a deadline for filing the amendment?
    >>> No. Do it right after you get the passport corrected.

3. Any idea on how much time it will take for the H1B to be corrected?
    >>> 4-5 months by normal process and 15 days by premium.

4 Do I need to get a new LCA?
    >>> No.

5. After I get my name on passport changed, will I have to get my I20 and SEVIS records updated? I completed my Masters in the US.
    >>> If you can get it corrected, then it is good.

6. I understand that once the passport is updated, I will need to take an appointment with the USCIS and work with CBP officer to get my immigration documents corrected. Any idea on how long this process might take?
    >>> No need to do that. Just file an amendment and the amendment will take care of this.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X