H1B extension in progress - current passport expires August 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B extension in progress - current passport expires August 2016

Hi thank you for taking the time to read this and helping.

I have a h1b visa that expired end of September 2015. My wife and 2 children are on h4. We are british citizens.

We applied for extension through employer back in June 2015, and that is in process. Got the I-797c back in July 2015. Employer has now paid for premium processing so approval notice should happen by 9th October 2015.

The question/ issue/ quick summary:
    My passport expires 27th August 2016 and one of my kids expires March 2016 (she is 4 yrs old). I don't want to get H1b visa extension to only August 2016 and have to extend again.

Full summary:
    I am due to go to England in 2 weeks time for a 3 week trip with my wife and kids. While we are there we want to visit the us embassy in London to get all visas done. H1B for me and H4 for wife and kids.

Looking at the LCA it was certified from 10/01/2015 until 09/30/2018.

Will we all get 3 years or will the visas only be valid until my passport expiry date of August 2016 - or will my 4 year old kids passport affect the visa expiration date? If this is the case, while i am in England, i could get new passports for me and my kid, before going to the US Embassy interview and handing passports over. If i did this, would that be best?

What i am trying to avoid, is getting only 10 month Visa, and then having to travel outside of the US again next year?

Originally posted by enak View Post
    Hi thank you for taking the time to read this and helping.

I have a h1b visa that expired end of September 2015. My wife and 2 children are on h4. We are british citizens.

We applied for extension through employer back in June 2015, and that is in process. Got the I-797c back in July 2015. Employer has now paid for premium processing so approval notice should happen by 9th October 2015.

The question/ issue/ quick summary:
    My passport expires 27th August 2016 and one of my kids expires March 2016 (she is 4 yrs old). I don't want to get H1b visa extension to only August 2016 and have to extend again.

Full summary:
    I am due to go to England in 2 weeks time for a 3 week trip with my wife and kids. While we are there we want to visit the us embassy in London to get all visas done. H1B for me and H4 for wife and kids.

Looking at the LCA it was certified from 10/01/2015 until 09/30/2018.

Will we all get 3 years or will the visas only be valid until my passport expiry date of August 2016 - or will my 4 year old kids passport affect the visa expiration date? If this is the case, while i am in England, i could get new passports for me and my kid, before going to the US Embassy interview and handing passports over. If i did this, would that be best?

What i am trying to avoid, is getting only 10 month Visa, and then having to travel outside of the US again next year?
    Visa validity is generally not based upon passport validity, if there is too little time between passport expiry and visa appointment date, then visa officers might themselves ask you to get a new passport and get the stamp on the new one.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X