Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 221g (white sheet) for H1B stamping Montreal, CA

Hi Everyone

I have been in the US for the past 7 years. Went to undergrad in my major (CSE) and got a job right out of school working for a reputed tech company full time. After working for 2 years there (1 year -OPT, 1 year-H1B), I switched my job to a full time position in a financial company but still in a tech role (got a new h1b or as they say h1b transfer)

I had my interview for H1B stamping at the US Consulate in Montreal on Oct 7th, 2015. Please note this is my first time stamping my H1B as I haven't been outside the country for over 5 years. The only other visa on my passport is the F1 visa for my undergrad.

CO: Consulate officer

CO1 asked me how I was doing and asked me if I had come to Canada just for the purpose of my interview. I told him no, I was visiting a friend here (which is completely true) but I did need a stamping since I couldn't travel back without my visa, so here I am. He asked me when I arrived in Canada and I told him 2 nights before. He looked at my passport and i797 and then told me to get my fingerprints done at another window.

After getting my fingerprints taken, I was sent to wait in a seating area and then sent to another CO window.
    CO2 seemed to be more friendly than the previous CO and asked me where I was working. I told him my current job is as a software developer in xyz company in abc city. He made small talk with me about abc city as coincidentally he was from there as well. He asked me how long I had been in the US. I told him I have been in the US since 2009 since I went to undergrad at so-and-so school. He asked me what I majored in and if I completed the degree from there as well and I told him I graduated in 2012. He then asked me for my CV which I gave to him along with my passport and i797 that he already had.
    He said that at this time we have all the information we need from you, however administrative processing is taking 3-4 weeks at an average at this time and handed me a white 221g sheet saying this is for your records and to wait from an email from LOOMIS when your passport is ready for pickup. I asked him if there was any way to speed it up and he said no, but he did tell me that someone did get lucky last week and got their passport within a week so maybe I'll get lucky.

The 221g form does not ask for any other documents and I have been checking my email and appointment account like crazy for any status updates but it just says that your application is under admin processing. Its October 16 today, so its been roughly a week and a half and I am going crazy with the lack of any status updates.

Anyone here had their stamping in Montreal or Canada and experienced something similar? Just looking for updates from fellow H1B applicants.

Also since this is taking a lot longer than expected, what is the legality of working remotely for my company, while I am in Canada. Am I breaking any Canadian or US labor laws by working remotely.

Sent an email to consulate: No luck

Hey guys, does anyone have any updates. Getting really nervous as I have incoming travel.

I sent the embassy an email explaining my situation and asking if they could expedite my request. However I got a response within 2 hours saying that the application is currently under admin processing and that they would send me an email once they have an update.

Comment

Originally posted by musiclover View Post
      Hi Everyone

I have been in the US for the past 7 years. Went to undergrad in my major (CSE) and got a job right out of school working for a reputed tech company full time. After working for 2 years there (1 year -OPT, 1 year-H1B), I switched my job to a full time position in a financial company but still in a tech role (got a new h1b or as they say h1b transfer)

I had my interview for H1B stamping at the US Consulate in Montreal on Oct 7th, 2015. Please note this is my first time stamping my H1B as I haven't been outside the country for over 5 years. The only other visa on my passport is the F1 visa for my undergrad.

CO: Consulate officer

CO1 asked me how I was doing and asked me if I had come to Canada just for the purpose of my interview. I told him no, I was visiting a friend here (which is completely true) but I did need a stamping since I couldn't travel back without my visa, so here I am. He asked me when I arrived in Canada and I told him 2 nights before. He looked at my passport and i797 and then told me to get my fingerprints done at another window.

After getting my fingerprints taken, I was sent to wait in a seating area and then sent to another CO window.
      CO2 seemed to be more friendly than the previous CO and asked me where I was working. I told him my current job is as a software developer in xyz company in abc city. He made small talk with me about abc city as coincidentally he was from there as well. He asked me how long I had been in the US. I told him I have been in the US since 2009 since I went to undergrad at so-and-so school. He asked me what I majored in and if I completed the degree from there as well and I told him I graduated in 2012. He then asked me for my CV which I gave to him along with my passport and i797 that he already had.
      He said that at this time we have all the information we need from you, however administrative processing is taking 3-4 weeks at an average at this time and handed me a white 221g sheet saying this is for your records and to wait from an email from LOOMIS when your passport is ready for pickup. I asked him if there was any way to speed it up and he said no, but he did tell me that someone did get lucky last week and got their passport within a week so maybe I'll get lucky.

The 221g form does not ask for any other documents and I have been checking my email and appointment account like crazy for any status updates but it just says that your application is under admin processing. Its October 16 today, so its been roughly a week and a half and I am going crazy with the lack of any status updates.

Anyone here had their stamping in Montreal or Canada and experienced something similar? Just looking for updates from fellow H1B applicants.

Also since this is taking a lot longer than expected, what is the legality of working remotely for my company, while I am in Canada. Am I breaking any Canadian or US labor laws by working remotely.
      Did you get the Visa...what is the status...I had same experience...in November...only thing its L1 and am still waiting ....

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X