Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1b extension validity linked to passport validity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b extension validity linked to passport validity ?

Hi Experts,

Need your opinion please.

My H1B visa is expired and extension is filed. However my passport is valid only till Sep'16.

1) Is new H1B petition/visa validity linked to passport validity ? Will i get new extension only till Sep'16 or it's likely will get for 2 to 3 yrs ? This is my first H1B renewal. I have stayed just 3 months in US.

2)Can i file for passport renewal while the existing application for extension is in progress ?If i apply for my passport renewal then will my H1B extension application be void as it's linked to the passport that is going to expire in Sep'16 ?

Please guide, what can i do to maximize the extension validity of H1B.

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,
    Karan

My H1B visa is expired and extension is filed. However my passport is valid only till Sep'16.
    >>> I am assuming your passport will expire in Sept. 2016 and 16th September 2015.

1) Is new H1B petition/visa validity linked to passport validity ? Will i get new extension only till Sep'16 or it's likely will get for 2 to 3 yrs ? This is my first H1B renewal. I have stayed just 3 months in US.
    >>> If the passport is valid for more than 6 months, then your petition will get extended for the duration requested.

2)Can i file for passport renewal while the existing application for extension is in progress?
    >>> You need to submit a copy of the petition and I-94 when you apply for the passport in U.S. So better to apply for renewal after you get the approval.

If i apply for my passport renewal then will my H1B extension application be void as it's linked to the passport that is going to expire in Sep'16 ?
    >>> Nope. Passport renewal will have no impact on the pending H1B petition.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X