Bankruptcy and possible furlough in H1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy and possible furlough in H1B

I was selected for the H1B during the lottery and it was approved this August and my visa would be starting from October. So I planned a trip to India this December and do the stamping. Now because of some mishaps in the top level ( The company is a big one with offices in Europe and multiple cities in US ), there is a talk that the company might go into administration and might file for bankruptcy. I talked to my manager and HR regarding this and they said while they do not have much information from their superiors, they were suggesting some employees could be asked to be on the furlough. Can I be in US legally while being on a furlough for a couple of months? Can I leave country , finish stamping and come back without any issues while being on the furlough? I would like to not my cancel my trip to India ( I have made so much plans that involves a lot of money ). Which is the better way for me to handle this incase they ask me to go in furlough immediately ? At least I can ask my managers and HR. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately when you are in H1B status, you should be getting paid to maintain the H1B status. If not, you will go out of status on H1B and that is a big problem for H1B stamping. If the employer cannot pay you, they have to withdraw your H1B petition. If you fear you may lose the job, then you can find a new employer and transfer your petition before going for visa stamping. But that has to be done before you go out of status on H1B or before the employer withdraws their H1B petition.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X