H1B Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Question

My H1b visa is approved on 6th Nov from USCIS. I can see on USCIS website that, I797 is approved and email has been sent. I have following questions ?

1. How long does it takes to receive original I797 ?
    2. I have traveling plan outside US on 14th November. Is it advisable to travel outside US even if I don't have approved I797 ? I was on F1 visa previously. So, I have to take appointment with US consulate in India and get H1 stamping done before entering US.
    3. I will ask my lawyer to mail my I797 to home address in India. Is it good idea to mail sensitive documents like I797 outside US ?
    4. Can some other person (my friend) carry my I797 to India and hand over to me ?

Thanks,
    Prasad

1. How long does it takes to receive original I797 ?
    >>> 2-3 weeks.

2. I have traveling plan outside US on 14th November. Is it advisable to travel outside US even if I don't have approved I797 ? I was on F1 visa previously. So, I have to take appointment with US consulate in India and get H1 stamping done before entering US.
    >>> If you can travel. But you need the approval notice to attend the visa interview and to re-enter U.S in H1B status. If you travel without the approval notice, then the employer will need to FedEx it to your Indian address.

3. I will ask my lawyer to mail my I797 to home address in India. Is it good idea to mail sensitive documents like I797 outside US ?
    >>> People have done that. When H1B is filed for a candidate who is not in U.S, the employer need to mail it to the home country so that the candidate can attend the visa interview. This is nothing new. But if the approval notice is lost, then the employer need to request USCIS for a duplicate which will take time.

4. Can some other person (my friend) carry my I797 to India and hand over to me ?
    >>> Sure, why not?
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X