Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a PhD and just found out my former employer didn't withdraw my approved H1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing a PhD and just found out my former employer didn't withdraw my approved H1B

I'm a first year student planning to travel back to my home country in December, so I went to the International Student office on campus for a travel signature, only to be told that my H1B is effective since Oct 1st (Now is November 23rd already) and a travel signature can't be done. This has make me anxious. I graduate from a master program this January(2015) and started working for a company since the end of February and the firm applied H1B for me and the application was approved. During April however, an fabulous opportunity popped up that a PhD program admitted me. So I left the firm in the late August and got my new I20 in the beginning of September. But there's a COS on the I20 saying I have an approved H1B. According to the officer I talked to today this causes problem. I have just looked up on USCIS website, it says "On November 9, 2015, we received your correspondence for Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker", I assume this the withdraw my former employer has filed. I have sent an email to the HR of my former employer but no message back yet, and probably will take a few more days. And the school says they'll delegate an officer who's more familiar with the situation to meet me ASAP. So I have a couple of questions if you would kindly help me out please.

1. What is my status now? No status? I have an I20 but the H1B is active too. And what does that imply? Government will kick me out?
    2. How long does the withdraw usually take, my booked flight ticket is on December 20th, will I be able to change my status to F1 before traveling? Or should I travel at all?
    3. My F1 visa expired this June, the school officers said that it doesn't matter at all and all I had to do is apply for another F1 VISA when I get back to my home country. Thus I have scheduled an interview with US consulate on December 22nd. Given my special situation now, will it be extremely hard to apply for a new F1 Visa?
    4. What can/should I possibly do now?

Please help!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X