H1-B visa experience for Australian citizen in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B visa experience for Australian citizen in India

This is a post for Australians or other foreign nationals currently residing in India who would like information on my H1-B visa stamping experience. I applied for a role in the U.S. in March 2015, and my petition was submitted on 01 April 2015. I was selected in the H1-B lottery, and received an RFE from the USCIS, which was replied to by my employer's attorney in the U.S. The petition was finally approved on 05 November 2015. I applied for the visa (fill out the DS-160 on the U.S. State Department website), and the earliest date I could find for the interview in Mumbai was 04 December 2015. I also booked an appointment for the photo on 27 November 2015, at the Mumbai VAC. For document delivery, I chose the VFS Office in Pune (this is where I work).

VAC Photo Appointment:
    Do not take anything except your passport, the appointment confirmation, a copy of the DS-160 confirmation, and proof of payment. Australians are also liable for the reciprocity fee if applying from an overseas U.S. embassy or consulate (more on this below). DO NOT take bags or mobile phones.

Everything else was straightforward.

Visa Interview at U.S. Consulate in Mumbai:
    I checked into the Trident Hotel on 03 December 2015, which is right across the street from the U.S. consulate. It's an excellent hotel for any visitors to Mumbai that come in for the visa interview. I also chose the 0900 slot of 04 December 2015. The wait to get into the consulate was two hours, although they do provide seating. There were two lines when we got in. The first line was to scan our passports (DO NOT remove the sticker on the back that is pasted on at the VAC photo appointment), and verify fingerprints.

The second line was the actual line to see a Visa Officer (VO). I had all my documents submitted for the petition (originals of everything I sent my employer's attorney), and a packet from my employer with a copy of the actual petition and RFE filed with the USCIS, and also including payroll information and federal tax returns for all employees. They didn't ask for a thing! All the documents I had must have weight about 5 kg, and the VO didn't even want to see them. All they asked was for a copy of my approved I-129. He asked a few basic questions and entered my replies into a computer. After that, he viewed my petitions on the PIMS, and verbally informed me that my visa was approved. The VO kept my passport and told me that it takes between 2-5 business days to issue the visa PLUS delivery. I was leaving the consulate when I heard my name announced over the P.A. asking me to return to the counter. I did this and was told that I hadn't paid the fee. I informed him that I had and showed him proof of payment. He agreed and said that I had not paid the RECIPROCITY FEE. I had left my wallet behind at the hotel, so I had to exit the consulate, go back to the hotel (a two minute walk), find an ATM, withdraw money, and come back to the consulate. They had kept my passport, and I paid cash (so I can't comment on what's required for a check). They issued a receipt and that was that.

Visa Interview Date - 04 December 2015
    Showed Issued on CEAC - 11 December 2015 (5 business days later).
    Arrived at VFS Pune - 14 December 2015

Pickup at Pune VFS:
    You'll need a government issued ID and a photocopy of the ID, which they will keep. I have a PAN card since I work in India and used that. I didn't bother photocopying the back (just the front), and that was good enough. Do take along your visa appointment letter, as they scan the barcode into the system before they return your passport. The passport was in a sealed plastic cover. I got home and removed the cover. I then checked the visa for any mistakes (there were none), so I suppose I'm done. I also removed the sticker pasted to the OUTSIDE of your passport. It is for the interview and is no longer required.

I had been to the U.S. before on the visa waiver program twice, so this may have had something to do with the speed at which my passport was stamped and returned. Having read other experiences of the H1-B interview, I am not surprised that the VO did not ask for any supporting documentation. Being a foreign national in India, I was surprised that they didn't conduct any security checks, but being Australian is probably why!

I hope this helps my fellow Aussies and other foreign nationals who may have to go through the experience. Best wishes!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X