X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B Travel Question - Exit US w/o hard copy of I-797

Hi,
    I want to request some urgent opinion on my situation -

I am currently working in the US for company A on a new (Masters Degree, Subject to Cap) H1-B petition that was approved May 2015
    I have not yet had H-B stamped on my passport
    Company A transferred me to their subsidiary Company B and filed for an H1-B transfer (Company A and B have different names)
    Transfer application was JUST approved in PP but I do not have a physical copy of the I-797 for Company B in hand yet. I have the I-94 # on newly approved I-797 but not a hard copy yet. The I-94 # is the same as on I-797 for company A and my paper I-94 form when I last entered US
    I am scheduled to travel outside of US in 3 days. Can I exit US without hard copy of the I-94 on newly approved I-797? My attorney can Fedex newly approved I-797 to my international address and I can use it to get the stamping done?

I really appreciate a reply - I am really in a fix here with not much time left.

Thanks,
    Samara

Originally posted by Samara89 View Post
    Hi,
    I want to request some urgent opinion on my situation -

I am currently working in the US for company A on a new (Masters Degree, Subject to Cap) H1-B petition that was approved May 2015
    I have not yet had H-B stamped on my passport
    Company A transferred me to their subsidiary Company B and filed for an H1-B transfer (Company A and B have different names)
    Transfer application was JUST approved in PP but I do not have a physical copy of the I-797 for Company B in hand yet. I have the I-94 # on newly approved I-797 but not a hard copy yet. The I-94 # is the same as on I-797 for company A and my paper I-94 form when I last entered US
    I am scheduled to travel outside of US in 3 days. Can I exit US without hard copy of the I-94 on newly approved I-797? My attorney can Fedex newly approved I-797 to my international address and I can use it to get the stamping done?

I really appreciate a reply - I am really in a fix here with not much time left.

Thanks,
    Samara
    You don't need an I797 to leave US. Avoid Europe as transit point if you don't have a valid visa.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      You don't need an I797 to leave US. Avoid Europe as transit point if you don't have a valid visa.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
      Thanks for a quick turnaround, Raghvi. I read that when I exit US that I will need to submit the I-94 attached on the lower half of the I-797 for company B. As I described in my original post, I do not have the hard copy of the approval notice yet but the email from the lawyer states the I-94 # and it the same as that in the earlier approval notice for company A and the I-94 from when I last entered US on OPT status. Any potential problems here? Also, my transit point is Doha, Qatar.
      Last edited by Samara89; 12-26-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X