Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1B Transfer - when can you start working for a new company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Transfer - when can you start working for a new company?

I'm currently on H1B and switching companies. My new employer(it's a fairly big company, not a startup)'s transfer application has been filed and I have already received the Receipt Notice from the California Service Center. I am thinking about leaving my current company now. But I am worried that I'll be out of status for 2 weeks or so since, in the Receipt Notice, it says that my status will be modified within 15 calendar days. However, I did find that many articles say that you can start working for your new company as soon as you receive the receipt.

What happens when your H1B gets revoked by your previous company after Receipt Notice is issued but the status hasn't changed yet (status change in progress)? Is that even possible?

Thanks,

You are allowed to work for the new employer upon receiving their H1B receipt notice. Previous employer revoking their petition will have no impact. You will not go out of status. However, there is a risk in joining the new employer without the actual approval notice in hand. If the transfer gets denied, then you will have no option other than to leave the country immediately. To play it safe, you should join them only after you receive the actual approval. So it is up to you to decide whether to take that risk or not.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

H1B visa transfer

Originally posted by jamesCovits View Post
        Thanks!
        I have same question of H1B visa transfer.

I have offer for new job as direct employment from reputed company in this week, as per new decision from USCIS H1B premium transfer process is been temporarily on hold for 6 month and may extend. I have new offer as direct employment .

In this case is it fine that I will join new employer with transfer receipt?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X