Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 stamped same date as passport expiry date

Hello everyone,
    I just arrive US on H1 visa along with my wife (H4 visa). My passport is expiring in July '06 and I didn't had time to renew my passport in India (thought that I will renew it at Indian consulate). But at the airport the immigration office stamped the same date (P. port expiry date) on my I-94. Same was stamped on my Wife's I-94 also even though her passport does not expire for next 9 years. I am going to get my passport renewed this week.
    Now I don't know how to change the date on I-94. Do we have to leave the contry and come back again? or it can be done here itself... PLEASE HELP .....
    Last edited by kartik01; 02-08-2006, 03:57 PM. Reason: typing error

You can ask your employer to extend the status and continue working. File the petition to change status well in advance of the expiry date in your I 94 and continue working. same applies for your wife too. You will not need another stamping to validate the extension, though if you happen to travel beyond your visa expiry, you'll need the fresh stamping.
    VEENA
    (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)

Comment

Thanks Veena for your prompt reply. Is this the only option I have? I thought that once I enter US I can stay for 3years before I apply for extension. Is there anyway I can explain to them that the only reason my I-94 was stamped to expire in 5 months is because of the my passport's expiry date and now that I have have a new passort may be they can change my expiry date from 5 months to 3 years. I would prefer not to bother my employer for any letters if there is any other option available.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Hi,
        Remaining in legal status is determined by the I 94. If that is expiring, then better do the needful to get that legally extended. Its not really a big hassle for the employer or his lawyer. They must be doing it all the time.
        VEENA
        (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)

Comment

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X