Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andres.
    replied
    This is great information, and such a quick reply, Thank you Shervin!

This helps me better focus my efforts and start preparing for the h1b application season (start applying for jobs early).

Leave a comment:

• shervin143
    replied
    [*] Regarding my background, what non-immigrant visas could provide me with a future path for immigration (is the H-1b the only non-immigrant visa that provides a path for immigration)?
    >>> Yes, H1B.

[*] If I find an employer that can sponsor my visa, when can I apply for the h1b and when can I start working for them?
    >>> It should be filed on April 1st and if your H1B gets picked up in lottery and if it gets approved later, you can begin working from Oct 1st.

[*] Normally, when do employers sponsor the green card for h1b employees (do they do it after they can't extend the h1b anymore ~6 years)?
    >>> That depends on the employer. Some start the process immediately. Some do not sponsor at all. Most of the employer start it after 1 year.

[*] What is the average cost for the h1b application, does the employer pay the cost or can I (as the employee) agree to pay the cost?
    >>> That depends on employer (size, number of H1B employees etc). Check the uscis.gov web site for more details. Employer should pay the H1B cost. It is illegal if you pay for your own H1B.

[*] What is the best approach to try to identify employers that are willing to sponsor h1b applicants (to help focus my efforts)?
    >>> Job sites, friends.

Leave a comment:

• andres.
    started a topic H4 to H1b, a couple of questions

H4 to H1b, a couple of questions

Hi all,
    I am an electrical engineer (graduated in the U.S.) with two years of experience (OPT and STEM extension) and about 5 months of self-employment (started my own company while on STEM extension). I am a Colombian national and have been in the U.S. for about 10 years (j1, F-1, CPT, OPT, STEM extension), Now I am under an H4 visa.

I have a couple of questions; perhaps someone can point me in the right direction:
    1. Regarding my background, what non-immigrant visas could provide me with a future path for immigration (is the H-1b the only non-immigrant visa that provides a path for immigration)?
    2. If I find an employer that can sponsor my visa, when can I apply for the h1b and when can I start working for them?
    3. Normally, when do employers sponsor the green card for h1b employees (do they do it after they can't extend the h1b anymore ~6 years)?
    4. What is the average cost for the h1b application, does the employer pay the cost or can I (as the employee) agree to pay the cost?
    5. What is the best approach to try to identify employers that are willing to sponsor h1b applicants (to help focus my efforts)?

Thanks, any help would be very much appreciated.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X