Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FNU Issue-Surname is Blank & Full name printed in given name in Passport

Hello,

I have gone through multiple posts and forums to understand the issue and so will write accordingly here,please suggest.
    This is regarding H1-B.

Current status : Petition Approved and Awaiting to Schedule VISA Interview.
    Concern : Passport has surname section blank & full name mentioned in given name,LCA documents have the same thing mentioned.

Suggestions I seek are on below queries :

(1) Apply for fresh passport before filling DS 160 & Scheduling VISA interview : If I go with this my passport no will change and after that petition documents and new passport will have different details ,I may even get rejected in interview - As per my employer this may lead to problems moving forward.

(2) Apply for fresh passport after VISA stamping & before travel : Not sure how feasible this would be and how it would impact after reaching US as it would still lead to multiple changes required and name change in VISA may or may not happen.

(3) Don't change Anything in Passport : For this case I will have to continue using FNU as my first name and full name in surname section which may lead to problem in getting SSN no & I may not get Driving Licence or there can be exceptional delay,and if I plan to stay beyond 2018 - then passport name change may not happen at-all as SSN change and all would be required later on which could be troublesome.

Can you guys suggest something,any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

When you are in U.S, a of of documents (Like your driving license, SSN etc) will be issued based on your passport / Visa. If you last name is blank, then they will print FNU on your last name. People have a lot of issues when they have FNU on your first / last name. So it is better you get your passport fixed before you travel. How was your form I-129 filed? Did that have the correct first / last name mentioned or did they leave the last name blank like in the passport? If form I-129 was filed correctly, then all you need to do is to get the passport fixed. If not, the right way is to fix your passport and they file for amendment.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

FNU Issue-Surname is Blank & Full name printed in given name

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      When you are in U.S, a of of documents (Like your driving license, SSN etc) will be issued based on your passport / Visa. If you last name is blank, then they will print FNU on your last name. People have a lot of issues when they have FNU on your first / last name. So it is better you get your passport fixed before you travel. How was your form I-129 filed? Did that have the correct first / last name mentioned or did they leave the last name blank like in the passport? If form I-129 was filed correctly, then all you need to do is to get the passport fixed. If not, the right way is to fix your passport and they file for amendment.
      Thank you shervin143 for your reply.

I had been trying to get my passport corrected before even scheduling VISA interview but in consensus with my employer(VISA Team) but they didn't gave any constructive response and just told that they have faced these concerns earlier and no one has ever pointed out any issue related to DL/SSN/other documents.(Probably they don't want to put any extra efforts to change petition documents to face more confusions and acting only as facilitators)

However basis my read on forums I realise that I should get this corrected.To answer to your questions I-129 was filed by my employer as per passport which doesn't have any Surname so documents that has come has : 'My Full Name',No Name given.
      My question is :
      (1) Does amendment in petition documents costs something or it can be done free,what are the chances of success is there any risk.
      (2) After Stamping(With FNU), should I Apply for Passport reissue or observation in India for Name split- and should carry both stamped old passport and non-stamped reissue one.
      Query: If my old passport is stamped and my reissued passport will not have stamp. is there any issue.

Appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance.

Comment

(1) Does amendment in petition documents costs something or it can be done free,what are the chances of success is there any risk.
        >>> Amendment involves a fee. It is not free. Check uscis.gov to find out the actual fee. If the amendment is filed just for name correction, then the chances of denial is less. There is no point in denying name correction.

(2) After Stamping(With FNU), should I Apply for Passport reissue or observation in India for Name split- and should carry both stamped old passport and non-stamped reissue one.
        >>> It is better you get the stamping done after your get the passport fixed.

Query: If my old passport is stamped and my reissued passport will not have stamp. is there any issue.
        >>> No. You can carry both old and new passport. Visa in the old passport will still be valid.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by mikky24 View Post
          Hello,

I have gone through multiple posts and forums to understand the issue and so will write accordingly here,please suggest.
          This is regarding H1-B.

Current status : Petition Approved and Awaiting to Schedule VISA Interview.
          Concern : Passport has surname section blank & full name mentioned in given name,LCA documents have the same thing mentioned.

Suggestions I seek are on below queries :

(1) Apply for fresh passport before filling DS 160 & Scheduling VISA interview : If I go with this my passport no will change and after that petition documents and new passport will have different details ,I may even get rejected in interview - As per my employer this may lead to problems moving forward.

(2) Apply for fresh passport after VISA stamping & before travel : Not sure how feasible this would be and how it would impact after reaching US as it would still lead to multiple changes required and name change in VISA may or may not happen.

(3) Don't change Anything in Passport : For this case I will have to continue using FNU as my first name and full name in surname section which may lead to problem in getting SSN no & I may not get Driving Licence or there can be exceptional delay,and if I plan to stay beyond 2018 - then passport name change may not happen at-all as SSN change and all would be required later on which could be troublesome.

Can you guys suggest something,any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
          Hi Mikky,

Have your issue has been solved, if so please let me know how it was done, I too have the similar issue, thanks.

Comment

FNU Issue

Originally posted by Baburaj Natarajan View Post
            Hi Mikky,

Have your issue has been solved, if so please let me know how it was done, I too have the similar issue, thanks.
            Sorry for delay in response!

Issue didn't resolved yet but at least I know what problem I can face and what could be the probable solution.
            Considering your situation same as it was mine I will answer.

I spoke to people in different forums and then finally I spoke to immigration officer of my company he suggested if I want to resolve everything below are steps I should follow with certain fees ( which obviously was not allowed by company as it takes time,efforts,cost of some one in immigration team )
            Steps are as below:
            (1) Get passport corrected( Max 15 days-as per current scenario)
            (2) File for petition amendment by either premium service (15 -20 days and ~$2000( not sure) or normal service ( Upto 6 months cost I am not sure)
            (3) Schedule VISA interview and go for stamping.

Considering the above cost and time factor immigration officer- my company suggested go directly for stamping and go with FNU YYYY as in VISA,it doesnt matter later when you come back you can get it rectified,because we cant invest so much cost and time and bigger bottle neck is if at all you get a project opportunity during changeover non visa availability will hamper your travel,so grab the opportunity of stamping then travel then u can get things rectified while you are in US,though its going to be damn tough.

My suggestion if you & your company can wait and sponsor for either premium or normal service or even you can sponsor yourself gets things corrected before VISA stamping only.
            Hope it helps.
            Let me know if you need anything in detail.
            Thanks

Comment

Could you please share your experience with SSN , DL etc

Originally posted by mikky24 View Post
              Sorry for delay in response!

Issue didn't resolved yet but at least I know what problem I can face and what could be the probable solution.
              Considering your situation same as it was mine I will answer.

I spoke to people in different forums and then finally I spoke to immigration officer of my company he suggested if I want to resolve everything below are steps I should follow with certain fees ( which obviously was not allowed by company as it takes time,efforts,cost of some one in immigration team )
              Steps are as below:
              (1) Get passport corrected( Max 15 days-as per current scenario)
              (2) File for petition amendment by either premium service (15 -20 days and ~$2000( not sure) or normal service ( Upto 6 months cost I am not sure)
              (3) Schedule VISA interview and go for stamping.

Considering the above cost and time factor immigration officer- my company suggested go directly for stamping and go with FNU YYYY as in VISA,it doesnt matter later when you come back you can get it rectified,because we cant invest so much cost and time and bigger bottle neck is if at all you get a project opportunity during changeover non visa availability will hamper your travel,so grab the opportunity of stamping then travel then u can get things rectified while you are in US,though its going to be damn tough.

My suggestion if you & your company can wait and sponsor for either premium or normal service or even you can sponsor yourself gets things corrected before VISA stamping only.
              Hope it helps.
              Let me know if you need anything in detail.
              Thanks
              Could you please share your experience with SSN , DL etc Also how did you fill in I94

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X