Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On H1 Visa - Interested in Setting up a business - Special case

Hi!

I understand there have been numerous posts on the topic "Business - H1b Visa", however, I feel we are getting into times where most things are getting automated. How far does the "you can own a company as a H1b visa holder, but cannot perform any duties" rule apply? Please see below:

What I know, please correct if I'm wrong:

{A} H1b Visa holder can start C - Corp or LLC as passive investor and cannot perform any type of activities for the company unless employed by that company, however, they can take in profits by paying the taxes.

{B} Need to Partner with a GC/US citizen and cannot form a C - Corp or LLC on their own (Please correct me here, I'm not sure).

Here is my question:

There are many companies which offer solutions where you don't have to do any work or almost no work, I'll give you 2 examples, please let me know if I as a H1b visa holder can legally buy into such investments or perform activities mentioned below:

(1) Will I be able to invest in an automatic machine where I don't perform any activities for the company I own, for example, say a soda vending machine:

[1a] Can I own the soda vending machine on my name and earn money from it? (P.S: I'll have to re-stock the sodas or contract someone to do it for me)
    [1b] Can I own the soda vending machine through a C - Corp or LLC, owned by only me and earn money from it? (P.S: I'll have to re-stock the sodas or contract someone to do it for me)
    [1c] Can I buy a franchise from a X company on my name and earn money from it? ((P.S: I won't have to re-stock the sodas, X Company will do it for me)
    [1d] Can I buy a franchise from a X company through a C - Corp or LLC, owned by only me and earn money from it? ((P.S: I won't have to re-stock the sodas, X Company will do it for me)

(2) I know I'll be able to buy a house on my name and earn rent from it, however, will I be able to do the same through a C- Corp or LLC ?

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X