Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• received I-797b instead of I-797a

Hi Friends,

I have a problem here. I came to US on F1 Visa and finished my Masters here. I have applied for change of status from F1 to H1. And I also got the H1 B approval notice from INS. But instead of getting I 797a, I got I 797b approval form(I dont know if it is an INS mistake or my Lawyers mistake while applying for change of status).
    I heard that I 797b form is received only if you apply from outside US.

Now I am planning to go to canada for stamping. Will that be a problem???

I would really appriciate any help...

Thanks,

Sirish.

Originally posted by sirish79
    Hi Friends,

I have a problem here. I came to US on F1 Visa and finished my Masters here. I have applied for change of status from F1 to H1. And I also got the H1 B approval notice from INS. But instead of getting I 797a, I got I 797b approval form(I dont know if it is an INS mistake or my Lawyers mistake while applying for change of status).
    I heard that I 797b form is received only if you apply from outside US.

Now I am planning to go to canada for stamping. Will that be a problem???

I would really appriciate any help...

Thanks,

Sirish.
    Hi Sirish,

Talk to your attoney who filed your case with INS....Probably there mightbe a way............Good Luck

------------
    Srinni
    Not a Legal Consultant
    Srinni

Comment

please help

Hi Sirish or anyone,
      I have the same situation here.

I received an I-797B instead of an I-797A. This is because of mistake done by my employer when filing my H1. I finished my Masters in USA and was on OPT. My H1 started from October and I did not realize that I was having the wrong document until recently.
      Also my I-94 has F1 as 'Duration of Stay' which I'm done with.
      My I-797 listed Chennai as the consulate.
      I am not sure how to proceed further.

Am I out of status now?
      Do I need to go back to Chennai to get my visa stamping?
      or Can I go to Canada or Mexico?
      Also is there any way where I can resolve this issue without leaving the US?

Please help me. Any kind of advise is highly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Rahul.

Comment

same problem

Hi Rahul...

I m having the same problem.... are u solved with it ....please let me know... if possible give me ur number.....
        I have received form 797B instead of 797A.... is it a huge problem ???? i m totally lost....
        Awaiting your reply at the earliest....

Karthik....

Comment

Is there a GAP between your current status and H1b start date?

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Sorry for posting on old thread, I have same situation now and need help

Hi All,

I am in the same situation now, got I-797B. Can you let me know how you guys solved urs?

1. Should I go for stamping in India(Consulate mentioned in I-797b is chennai)?
            2. Can I go to Canada?
            3. Should I go for amendment to get change of status?

Please help.

Thanks
            Raj.

Comment

Raj

Hey Raj,

I got the same situation.My H-1B is approved but, my COS is not,I exactly have the same questions in my mind like you have.Could you email me your number or any contact details to [email protected] .Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks
              MB

Originally posted by raj333 View Post
              Hi All,

I am in the same situation now, got I-797B. Can you let me know how you guys solved urs?

1. Should I go for stamping in India(Consulate mentioned in I-797b is chennai)?
              2. Can I go to Canada?
              3. Should I go for amendment to get change of status?

Please help.

Thanks
              Raj.
              - - - Updated - - -

Karthik,

I have the same issue of COS not being approved.By this you might have resolved it and I know its long time back...could you please reply me back on this.Your suggestion is very important and I dont have much time left to sort out on this.Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks

Originally posted by karanamkarthik View Post
              Hi Rahul...

I m having the same problem.... are u solved with it ....please let me know... if possible give me ur number.....
              I have received form 797B instead of 797A.... is it a huge problem ???? i m totally lost....
              Awaiting your reply at the earliest....

Karthik....

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X