Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do a Part Time and get paid in India while I'm working in USA on H1-B

Hi

I'm currently on H1-B and working for an employer in USA.
    I got a part time opportunity through some contact, and they said they'll pay me in India(they have an office in India) for the work I do here(Their client is here).

Can I take that opportunity? It wouldn't be more than 10-15 hrs per week, and they would pay me in India on my name into my account directly. I guess it would be similar to a payroll, but not sure.
    If I take that up, do I have to provide that information in my tax filings in US? Ofcourse I'll do that in India.

Regards
    Sai

Originally posted by Sai Kiran View Post
    Hi

I'm currently on H1-B and working for an employer in USA.
    I got a part time opportunity through some contact, and they said they'll pay me in India(they have an office in India) for the work I do here(Their client is here).

Can I take that opportunity? It wouldn't be more than 10-15 hrs per week, and they would pay me in India on my name into my account directly. I guess it would be similar to a payroll, but not sure.
    If I take that up, do I have to provide that information in my tax filings in US? Ofcourse I'll do that in India.

Regards
    Sai
    No you can only work and get paid by your US employer. If you are resident in US you should pay taxes in US and report all global income (arising out of investments). Also, how will you file your taxes in India when you are not residing there in a financial year? Typically one pays taxes in the country where one is residing and established the necessary residency requirement.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      No you can only work and get paid by your US employer. If you are resident in US you should pay taxes in US and report all global income (arising out of investments). Also, how will you file your taxes in India when you are not residing there in a financial year? Typically one pays taxes in the country where one is residing and established the necessary residency requirement.

Thankyou for the advice!
      I'm guessing the amount won't be much as it is like a 3 month project and the income shouldn't cross the slab amount for income tax bracket in India, so I won't be filing in India.
      In this case, can I go ahead and take the offer? No one will know that I'm getting money in India.

Comment

Originally posted by Sai Kiran View Post
        Thankyou for the advice!
        I'm guessing the amount won't be much as it is like a 3 month project and the income shouldn't cross the slab amount for income tax bracket in India, so I won't be filing in India.
        In this case, can I go ahead and take the offer? No one will know that I'm getting money in India.
        If the the question is of legality, legally it is not allowed.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X