H1B - Travel, SSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B - Travel, SSN

I have a couple questions regarding H1B visa, SSN and travelling.

- My H1B petition was approved and I will be making an appointment for the interview. Between the date of submitting the application and the date of the interview can I travel to the US on my B1 visa? The application has a section on previous travel to the US, which would not include the latest trip. Would this be an issue?

- Once my passport has been stamped with the H1B, is it possible to travel on my B1 visa for visiting the US for a few days before my official entry on the H1B for work?

- I would like to apply for a SSN soon after entry. Am I allowed to leave the US while my SSN card application is pending/being verified? And do I have to apply for the SSN in the city where I'll be working?

Any help with these questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

Originally posted by wikidng View Post

- My H1B petition was approved and I will be making an appointment for the interview. Between the date of submitting the application and the date of the interview can I travel to the US on my B1 visa? The application has a section on previous travel to the US, which would not include the latest trip. Would this be an issue?

- Once my passport has been stamped with the H1B, is it possible to travel on my B1 visa for visiting the US for a few days before my official entry on the H1B for work?

- I would like to apply for a SSN soon after entry. Am I allowed to leave the US while my SSN card application is pending/being verified? And do I have to apply for the SSN in the city where I'll be working?

What's the purpose of the B1 trip?

Comment

Originally posted by wikidng View Post

You can travel on the B1 visa until the date you are approved for the H1B. You can only have one non-immigrant visa at a time, and should you travel between the time of filing for an H1B, and the issuance of the visa validity dates is fine. As long as your visit is before the validity dates of the H1B there is no problem. There may not be any problem with you traveling for vacation on the H1B either however you may be questioned for your purpose of travel, and if you say traveling on an H1B and not working could case an issue, but I have not seen it yet. I don't know about SSN but I see no reason why you cannot leave the US while your SSN application is pending. Maintenance of status is not an issue with SSN, and it is free to apply anyway. I believe you can even submit the application in the mail, so apply wherever you want for the SSN.
      This is purely my opinion and does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
        What's the purpose of the B1 trip?
        Travelling to meet family who will be helping me move into the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by mindrd View Post
        You can travel on the B1 visa until the date you are approved for the H1B. You can only have one non-immigrant visa at a time, and should you travel between the time of filing for an H1B, and the issuance of the visa validity dates is fine. As long as your visit is before the validity dates of the H1B there is no problem. There may not be any problem with you traveling for vacation on the H1B either however you may be questioned for your purpose of travel, and if you say traveling on an H1B and not working could case an issue, but I have not seen it yet. I don't know about SSN but I see no reason why you cannot leave the US while your SSN application is pending. Maintenance of status is not an issue with SSN, and it is free to apply anyway. I believe you can even submit the application in the mail, so apply wherever you want for the SSN.
        Thanks for your help!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X