Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel and re-enter US after name split in passport - H1B

Hi All,

I was suffering from the infamous FNU issue in my petition and visa since the last name field was blank in my old passport. Now I have fixed this issue while renewing my passport and have a proper Surname and Given Name field in my new passport. I am planning to travel to India soon and not planning to go for Visa stamping as the stamped visa from my previous employer is valid till Sep 2017. Also the new I797 and I94 are valid till 2018 June.

1. Will there be any issue at the port of entry since my current stamped visa and petition from new employer both contain FNU as my first name but my new passport now have a proper Surname and Given name?

I have consulted with our immigration attorneys (Fragomen) regarding updating my correct name on petition and I94 and they informed me that they can do it only when my next extension comes, which is in Jun 2018. I was surprised to hear that they haven't mentioned an Amendment option.

2.Will it be possible for me to mention my name as it appears in my new passport for my I94 form at POE and get a new I94 without the FNU in it? Will there be any issues since the FNU appears in petition and visa and I mentioned the name differently in I94 form?

3. Is there any other way I can get my first and last name updated in my petition and I94? (By visiting USCIS or CBP?)

Originally posted by deepak0085 View Post
    Hi All,

I was suffering from the infamous FNU issue in my petition and visa since the last name field was blank in my old passport. Now I have fixed this issue while renewing my passport and have a proper Surname and Given Name field in my new passport. I am planning to travel to India soon and not planning to go for Visa stamping as the stamped visa from my previous employer is valid till Sep 2017. Also the new I797 and I94 are valid till 2018 June.

1. Will there be any issue at the port of entry since my current stamped visa and petition from new employer both contain FNU as my first name but my new passport now have a proper Surname and Given name?

I have consulted with our immigration attorneys (Fragomen) regarding updating my correct name on petition and I94 and they informed me that they can do it only when my next extension comes, which is in Jun 2018. I was surprised to hear that they haven't mentioned an Amendment option.

2.Will it be possible for me to mention my name as it appears in my new passport for my I94 form at POE and get a new I94 without the FNU in it? Will there be any issues since the FNU appears in petition and visa and I mentioned the name differently in I94 form?

3. Is there any other way I can get my first and last name updated in my petition and I94? (By visiting USCIS or CBP?)

any advise guys? I am confused about my travel due to the above mentioned issue.

Comment

deepak0085,

Any updates on where you stand? I have the same question as you have. I am planning to get my new H1B stamped when I travel and then get my name fixed in the passport (due to time constraints). I am worried that the name difference between the passport and visa/I-797 might be an issue on reentry.

Comment

Originally posted by FNUSD View Post
        deepak0085,

Any updates on where you stand? I have the same question as you have. I am planning to get my new H1B stamped when I travel and then get my name fixed in the passport (due to time constraints). I am worried that the name difference between the passport and visa/I-797 might be an issue on reentry.
        Any updates? any questions asked on your re-entry to US?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X