H1B stamping in new passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B stamping in new passport

I came in US on Mar 2015. At the time both my passport and h1b (sponsored by my company) was valid till Oct 2016. Since, my passport was nearing expiry, I renewed my passport while at US, so got a new passport valid till 2026. Afterwards, in June 2016 I moved to another company (while in US), and now I have got my new h1b Visa sponsored by my new company. I have the i797 of my new visa, and it's validity is till May 2018. So now, these are the documents in my possession-
    1. My old passport (which was yet to expire in Oct 2016)
    2. My first h1b Visa stamping done in old passport (expiring on Oct 2016)
    3. My new passport which is valid till 2026. This new passport doesn't have new visa stamped
    4. My new visa i797 document.

Now, I know that if I any plans of visiting India for a vacation, I need to get my new passport stamped with my new visa, and only then I would be permitted to US. But my question is, what if I don't have any plans of visiting India till my h1b is expired? Also, if my current h1b expires on 2018, can I extend that without getting the visa stamped in my new passport?

Old passport with h1b stamped, new passport received when in US, change in employment

have similar question as above user, but one change, i need to travel to india

old passport will expire in May-2017.
    old passport has h1b stamped. h1b valid till 2018.
    renewed passport when in US. received it in Nov-2016. it doesn't have visa stamped.
    will join new employer in feb-2017 (new i-797). planning visit to india at beginning of dec-2017.

will i be required to take visa stamping on the new passport when i return from india to us in end of dec-2017?

thanks for any factual advice!

Comment

Originally posted by goodstudent View Post
      have similar question as above user, but one change, i need to travel to india

old passport will expire in May-2017.
      old passport has h1b stamped. h1b valid till 2018.
      renewed passport when in US. received it in Nov-2016. it doesn't have visa stamped.
      will join new employer in feb-2017 (new i-797). planning visit to india at beginning of dec-2017.

will i be required to take visa stamping on the new passport when i return from india to us in end of dec-2017?

thanks for any factual advice!
      Always, your new passport takes precedence. You will have to carry both the passports when you travel or go for stamping.

This is just my personal advice and not a legal one.
      Vijay

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X