Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of alleged violation- 591 implications

Hi,
    We (myself, mywife and kid) travelled to EWR, NJ airport from Mumbai (india) recently, we had to check-in one cabin bag in the last moment of getting into flight as flight personnel said there might not be space in the flight, that bag has apple, in the cbp declaration form we ticked NO for all questions (food , raw items etc..), we completely forgot this.
    An officer at baggage collecting belt asked that whether any fruits in the bag as the dog sniffed it seems, after thinking a bit, we said there is one apple for baby, since we were not sure, then she has written an apple on cbp form, she asked if there is any rice or chickpeas, we said no, then we were asked to proceed to baggage inspection, where all our bags were went through xray, in one of the check-in bag there were few goose berries (apprx 8), they said these are not allowed, and since we did not declare them they said we have to pay a fine of $300, they gave us a 'notice of alleged violation-591', it's mentioned '10 goose berries' in that document (hand filled by officer), though we pleaded alot mentioning it's first and last time, the officer said they can't waive off fine, we were asked to send the money order or cashier cheque to cbp address.

Have couple of questions on this instance, please answer-

1) Can we call helpline/ customer care number and ask to waive off the penalty? any idea which number to contact.?

2) Does this violation have any implications on H1 visa renewal or green card process? I got my I140 approved, have H1 valid till 2019 jan.

3) Only my passport number and other details are mentioned in that notice, i believe this is on my name or will it be there on my wife name too? they took photocopy of both of our passports.

4) Will there be any record exists on their system? and it will flag every time when we go through cbp and will need to have our bags inspected? how many years will this be there? Can we anyways check whether our name or record is flagged?

5) What to answer for below questions in DS160?, or do we need to mention this in any other places like H1 extn applicaiton or background checks etc..

a)HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ARRESTED OR CONVICTED FOR ANY CRIME, EVEN THOUGH SUBJECT OF A PARDON, AMNESTY or OTHER SIMILAR ACTION?

b)HAVE YOU EVER VIOLATED , OR ENGAGED IN CONSPIRACY TO VIOLATE, ANY LAW RELATING TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES?

Thank you.

Originally posted by Vinay Kumar G View Post
    Hi,
    We (myself, mywife and kid) travelled to EWR, NJ airport from Mumbai (india) recently, we had to check-in one cabin bag in the last moment of getting into flight as flight personnel said there might not be space in the flight, that bag has apple, in the cbp declaration form we ticked NO for all questions (food , raw items etc..), we completely forgot this.
    An officer at baggage collecting belt asked that whether any fruits in the bag as the dog sniffed it seems, after thinking a bit, we said there is one apple for baby, since we were not sure, then she has written an apple on cbp form, she asked if there is any rice or chickpeas, we said no, then we were asked to proceed to baggage inspection, where all our bags were went through xray, in one of the check-in bag there were few goose berries (apprx 8), they said these are not allowed, and since we did not declare them they said we have to pay a fine of $300, they gave us a 'notice of alleged violation-591', it's mentioned '10 goose berries' in that document (hand filled by officer), though we pleaded alot mentioning it's first and last time, the officer said they can't waive off fine, we were asked to send the money order or cashier cheque to cbp address.

Have couple of questions on this instance, please answer-

1) Can we call helpline/ customer care number and ask to waive off the penalty? any idea which number to contact.?

2) Does this violation have any implications on H1 visa renewal or green card process? I got my I140 approved, have H1 valid till 2019 jan.

3) Only my passport number and other details are mentioned in that notice, i believe this is on my name or will it be there on my wife name too? they took photocopy of both of our passports.

4) Will there be any record exists on their system? and it will flag every time when we go through cbp and will need to have our bags inspected? how many years will this be there? Can we anyways check whether our name or record is flagged?

5) What to answer for below questions in DS160?, or do we need to mention this in any other places like H1 extn applicaiton or background checks etc..

a)HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ARRESTED OR CONVICTED FOR ANY CRIME, EVEN THOUGH SUBJECT OF A PARDON, AMNESTY or OTHER SIMILAR ACTION?

b)HAVE YOU EVER VIOLATED , OR ENGAGED IN CONSPIRACY TO VIOLATE, ANY LAW RELATING TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES?

Thank you.
    You aren't the first one to go through this scenario. There are lot many people who paid fine for the exact same violation and it wont impact your Immigration proceedings. To answer all your questions, you should simply mark as NO to all as this isnt a criminal act or crminal violation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X